Skip to content
Maintankadin

Crushing Blows, the Attack Table, and How it All Adds Up

Eloff
Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:07 am
LOL! That's just the buff that paladins need!


Haha.


Seriously, the warriors game would be over, and that's not fair to them or us.
_________________
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct


Abira
Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:14 pm
Lol ok first of all, if you read my post, I ended it with the "I know this breaks mechanics " blah blah.

Also, I understand Lore that it pushes Parry/Dodge off the table if we were to stack strength block etc.

The difference is that as prot we cause damage with blocks.

Since rearranging the table would break too much, I'd like parry to cause damage such as holy shield does.

And it's not totally unreasonable that they change avoidance mechanics for paladins versus warriors.
Lore
Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:50 pm
Thing is, it doesn't change anything, like I said, unless you stack so much block that you push parry and dodge off the table. The effect can be easily mirrored by just not wearing so much parry and dodge and wearing more block.
_________________
I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
Candiru
Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:50 am
it would have a massive effect when redoubt procs!

(I think its a bad idea, better to make reckoning proc off dodge/parry as well as being hit so you get some benefit from them)
_________________
Donjuan
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:29 am
What about magic attacks? Things like shadow bolts, pyroblast, frost shock? Do those attacks have a separate attack table where they just look at resistances , or can they missed, and dodged by using the holy shield thing where every hit is a miss, block, dodge, or parry?

If i understood what you said correctley, it sounds like at some point no one will be able to hit me as long as i have holy shield up (or if they do i will block it , and if i have a high block rating it means i will absorb most of that too), that is so cool. I wonder can warriors do that too, since they have a higher starting mitigation and so wont need the libram?
_________________
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronze+Dragonflight&n=Donjuan

adese
Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:05 am
Normal magic attacks ignore dodge/parry/block completely - I believe there is a separate combat table for those (correct me if I am wrong). You basically only have any magic resists from your gear to help you here - that and the Spell Warding talent (-4% magic damage done).

If you are uncrushable, then any physical attack that is not missed, parried, or dodged will be a block - at that point you will never take the full brunt of an attack, which makes healing you much easier (no spike damage).
_________________

Gowron
Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:48 am
...and everything over 102.4% is useless then (?)

Or to make it clear:

There is no difference between 102.4% or 180%.

because anything over 102.4% will not be rolled on.
Daktarin
Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:32 am
Excellent sticky, Lore. Made things a lot clearer.

However there is one thing I wish to clarify:

If you are at 102.4% and 490 defense against a lvl 73 mob, then in theory you should not be hit.

So does that mean any non-spell damage taken once I activate holy shield is a case of "shit-happens"? or is it just attacks that cannot be missed/dodged/parried/blocked?

Thanks
_________________
jere
Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:02 am
It could be any number of things:

1. You hit exactly 102.4% and fell victim to rounding error AND are the unluckiest person ever.

2. Some attacks do have wierd combat things (Illidan's sheer doesn't miss for example)

3. You got hit in the brief period between HS cooldown/refresh cycles.

4. I am sure there are other reasons...these were just the few that came to mind off hand.
_________________
Dragoth
Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 pm

The horizon past 102.4

So what's past 102.4% on things? I'm at like 106% avoidance, and I'm looking to be sure that everything is going as efficiently as possible.

16.57% Dodge
17.11% Parry
25.51% Block
30.00% HS
05.30% Libram
11.28% Miss (Base + Def)
----------
105.77% Avoidance

what's best? I keep hearing people say that "too much dodge is a bad thing" because of streaky damage. Right now I'm thinking about raising either my dodge or my block value. I know blocks = threat, but since paladins have generally less HP than their counterparts, it might be a good thing to dodge. But conversely, greater block value equals less per hit over a night of raiding and that adds up. Thoughts? Rawr.

Edit: I have 420 Block Value.
_________________
Beia - 70 Dwarf Prot Pally - Turalyon