Skip to content
Maintankadin

New tankadin looking for guidance

Majiben
Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:06 am
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the use of use of eagle pieces over bear. Previously, prot paladins scaled terribly with str and int was never great. Now that we get BV from str 10 times faster (not including redoubt , which takes it to 13 times the scaling we had before) plus more of our spells scale off AP now too.

Adding int doesn't increase our soloing capabilities, It just extends the time between drinks but increases the time spent drinking. That's not to mention that the BV from str and the added dps from it decreases damage taken and you kill enemies faster and thus you spend less mana. You could only argue that intellect would be useful for instance tanking but before lvl 30 (when you get BoS) tanking those is hardly difficult enough to build a second set for it.

Also for draenei gift of the naruu scales with AP making str good for reducing downtime by saving mana.
_________________
Shoju
Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:44 am
And that's why I added the caveat that my experience could be outdated. I leveled my paladin from 2.3 (1) to 2.4 (70) I went from 70 (release) to 80 (dec 5) and I leveled that as lolret.

If bear gear is better, get bear gear.
Vato
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:36 am
Thanks, Arcand. Makes sense. So when I ding 20, I'll most likely lose any of the benefit I got from +3 defense rating (if I haven't already)?
_________________
Arcand
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:41 am
The benefit will shrink, but even at level 80 three defense rating converts to 0.61 defense skill which I believe would round up to one point of defense skill. Smile

When you're leveling there just isn't a whole helluva lot of gear with defense rating on it, until you hit 60/Outland - so don't stress too much about defense and just pile on the basics (in no particular order): armor, stamina and strength.

Bear gear until Outland, Champion as soon as it starts showing up.
_________________
Everything in war is very simple. But in war, even the simplest thing is difficult.
Majiben
Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:59 pm
To prevent some insane avoidance and crit rates for low level characters using high level enchants, many combat ratings convert as if the characters were lvl 35 even if they are lower. So you may not lose any benefit from defense rating till you hit lvl 35.
_________________
Vato
Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:50 pm
Thanks for the explanations, all.
_________________
Vato
Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm
Okay, so I just hit 20. I want to start tanking the Deadmines... should I put my 11th talent point into Improved Righteous Fury or Toughness? My first ten are in Divine strength and Anticipation.
_________________
Majiben
Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 pm
Eheh face rolling instances eh? I would vote for imp RF but it doesn't really matter.
_________________
Vato
Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:11 pm
Is face rolling re-speccing depending on the instance you're running?

If so, no. Smile

Thanks, I figured the difference was negligible.
_________________
Majiben
Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14 pm
You ran it at lvl 20 which is a bit high for the instance
_________________