Skip to content
Maintankadin

Healing as Prot

Gerilith
Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:10 am
I've got 2k +heal unbuffed and loads of mp5 on my healing gear and it works just fine. Fine enough to make some "main healers" look silly, healing more than them at Illidan (4 tanks = too much! I should#ve farmed FR more early on)) or Archimonde, for example. Just like back in the old days where I was our best holy paladin Razz
_________________

Cauze blizzard begins to let healing suck.
Alchameth
Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:30 am
Not sure what I am going to do "end game" spec wise, I have been prot since i started and don't imagine I will change because I enjoy it too much. I got some better drops and my + heal is about 210 and my MP5 is like 12 + BoW so mid 40s I believe.

Been healing BRD and a few other instances and keeping up and hardly go below half mana unless something ugly happens. Was just looking for another role to fill in the frequent event that I cannot find a run due to the lack of a healer. It's been interesting to say the least and I cant say I really care to have to watch everyone health like a hawk all the time, I am a front line keep the nasties on me kind of person I guess.... But it allows me to find runs faster usually. I hit 59 and the rest of my points are going into Holy so it should only get better.

Edit* I am wearing a lot of cloth/leather heal gear right now as I cannot find good enough plate to make up the higher INT/+heal/+MP5 as that my mana pool is over 5K with Kings on (if there is another pally in the group). Going to start looking more at plate heal stuff after I hit 60. I use the shield from ST with the +4 mana so my armor isn't complete crap.
_________________
Lalecize
Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 pm
Lol. I admit defeat. After reading this I went and healed Ramparts (normal) last night in my healing set.

My healing set is the priest d3 set, with a few random pieces (BM trinket, Some Shammy healing shoulders (with cool venting air effect), and the silvermoon shield from slabs.

I look like a big gay clown, but it cracks the lowbies up seeing me running around in my cloth.

I end up with about +800 healing (Yeah i bought cheap as gems for it as its really a mishmash of what healers dont want in runs lol).

Long story short the tank sucked and i ended up healing the shad priest more. While the Shad priest was using VT (which makes healing a lot easier), I never went below half mana.

The group including the tank at the end actually said I carried the group through and without me they wouldnt have made it...

I know i severly outlevel the instance, but to be honest it was cake. So I admit defeat Very Happy

That said had I been holy it would have been even easier Very Happy
Except when the tank pulled while we were sorting out the rogues gear and died, when (still out of combat) I hit my button to equip my tank gear, tossed my shield and tanked a pack.

The group couldn't believe their eyes!!

note: Also my purple clown set rocks in pvp for tossing a heal making 3 rogues look at me thinking yum yum cloth healer (and wtf is that purple idiot doing), for me to run 10 yards, equip tanking gear, then laugh as they eventually giveup after a minute of beating themselves to death on my shield.
_________________
Me - http://amanthul-us.warcrafter.net/Laeda
kalbear
Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 pm
I've healed almost every normal instance as prot. It's not always easy, but it usually works out fine. The only thing is - you are not going to have the crit or the +heal bonuses that holy pallies do, which means that spamming FoL is not going to work. You're going to have to anticipate HL casts more. And make sure to get as much mp5 gear as you can.

I'd really not want to do a heroic. Pallies already have a hard enough time with heroic healing even as holy thanks to their lack of party-wide heals. Doing it with more than that...ugh.
Alchameth
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:10 am
Oh it has been tight, and as stated above it is usually when the s#!+ hits the fan and I have to try to heal 3 of the group members, too slow on casts and not enough healing done I usually hold it together but someone usually dies.

I prefer tanking hands down, did another BRD run last night as the tank and the rest of the group couldn't believe how fast we were chewing that place up and the fact that I was using BoSanc and only had to drink 3 or 4 times. Swinging Wis and judging it on bosses, with the heals I kept at half + mana. I have run it as healer with other prot pallies that had to stop and drink every other pull and ended up offering my advice but they usually insist on swinging Ret. Damn Retadins goin prot and still trying to dps! Laughing
Course when the rogues didn't get the casters off me and I had 5 other things beating on me the priest couldn't keep up a few times and I died, once that happend... I was running back to rez everyone.
_________________
Frickit
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:25 am
to op, with a little mana regen on ur gear at the 50-60 levels id say you can heal a dungeon. after that it gets harder and harder.
_________________
Warrender
Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:26 am
Great healing gear can overcome lack of Illumination and .5 second casting time on Holy Light.

Great tanking gear can't overcome lack of Holy Shield and Combat Expertise.
_________________
kalbear
Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:58 am
You cast illumination? That's a cool trick.

Holy paladins can tank instances without too much of a problem. They don't have as much HP and they don't have HS - but neither of these are necessary in an instance. They won't have as much threat from RF either, but that's okay too - they'll still have RF. As long as you're uncrittable you should be okay.

I wouldn't want to do it in a heroic unless you wildly outgeared the instance, but sadly there really aren't many talents in the prot tree that make you unable to tank. Unable to tank super well? Possibly. But you'll be able to do it.
Aleriya
Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:15 am
I end up healing in SSC/TK as Prot quite often. Usually it's because a healer flakes out or someone DC's and I'm not going to go respec in the middle of a raid.

I do alright Smile About as well as a "meh" geared Holy paladin.

I also end up as DPS in SSC/TK as Prot quite often. That's usually a lot more painful . . . (then again, no one really expects a Prot paladin wielding a Nightfall to do a lot of dps).
_________________