Skip to content
Maintankadin

WoW Pally #1

Uthadanin
Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:41 pm
I have no problem leveling, actually I have outpaced everyone around me (friends and guildies). My question is, am I geared too much like a warrior/ ret. pally. I have heard that I don't need as much +str, and to look for +int or +agi for the mana/ dodge+crit.

I love being a prot. pally, not gonna change that. (looking at my talent tree, is there anything you guys would change).
Galoheart
Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:16 am
Your over analyzing this at your level. Until you get to Outland i pretty much say you need not worry too much about your gear.

I solo quested all the way to Outland and 70 and like I said before entirely as a protection spec. Your not going to find great Plate gear easily especially as a Paladin until you get to Outland. Yes you will pick up gear in instances IF IT DROPS. But if it don't i would not worry about it a bit. If your going to level as protec spec i say get you a good <2.0 weapon speed 1H & Shield however and wherever you can get one. Get a nice 2H as standby weapon for the times you like to 2H in your spec for ease of things. Most the gear you will find will be warriors plate gear with stam, strength. Intelligence gear will be hard to find on plate but take agility too if you can get it. Like said you will be basically geared like a warrior. Your not going to find much +dodge or much of any that kind of gear till you get to Outland. Just suck it up and wear warriors gear and level up to Outland. just do that and you will be fine. When i was your level i basically had crappy gear all the way to 60 but it was the best gear i could get from quest/AH and some instancing. Prime thing i focused on was a GOOD 1H & Shield at all times.
_________________

http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/

"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself"
Questioner
Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:39 am


That's how to do it imo Very Happy

In my opinion, don't really worry about your armor until outlands, However, a high dps 1h is a necessity, and anything with an on damage proc is great.

I used a Flurry Axe with Lifestealing (this is awesome with reckoning) and a Green Tower for countless levels. It was completely worth the gold I spent, as I bet it saved me days of levelling. I didn't replace my flurry axe until outland. It's all about the reactive damage (via reckoning, holy shield, ret aura, shield spike, etc). I hit 60 in just under 5 days /played.

I don't think I looked at my armor at all until I got some cool on-proc trinkets. Just take whatever mail/plate comes your way and push ahead.
_________________
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Uthadanin
Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:10 am
I respec'd today. Dropped imp devotion aura (use ret. aura), dropped reckoning, added points to + stam/defense talents, holy sheild etc.. I am built to take a beating now (more defense, at the cost of reckoning (replaced with the one that lowers the damage you take after a certain health).

I have the lvl 40 Pally sword, and a better sheild (1200+ ap, 19 block etc...)

Where do you guys suggest questing/ grinding from 42-46...
Whitewolf
Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:00 am
Buccaneers in Tanaris might be in range?
Uthadanin
Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:57 pm
Tonight I am higher than life to be honest. A few nights ago, one of my main supporters in becoming a tankadin was going at it with some of the doubters. So he issued a challenge, myself (lvl 42 pally) and a lvl 43 warrior had to run several instances solo. (DM, Stockades, SM Library... 1 per day due to time constraints)

We were given the same equipment, and # of pots etc... Two neutral guild 70's were assigned at timing us and keeping track of the number of times we died. (both were not allowed to help in anyway just follow). First up was deadmines, I dropped the board in sword in favor of my ravager and trucked away. I immediately remembered that I didn't have a healer so my mana didn't last very long (not to mention none of my gear allowed had +int, +spirit etc...). I was allowed mana pots, but I decided against using them unless in a pinch. (he was allowed extra healing pots).

DM was close, neither of us wiped, but I smoked him by 7 minutes (mainly in the foundry where I just aggro'd everything at once and beat it to death, where he had to pull small groups).

Stockades was just boring for me, he wiped twice, me zero. I beat him by 12 minutes.

Now SM Library (decided against graveyard due to my distinct advantage there). I was actually skeptical that I could run it solo, I had never tried before. I wiped once. (at final boss, I had used lay on hands on the first boss). I was heading back in to get to my body when I got a message, the warrior gave up.)

On the same day as my SM library solo run, one of my guildies (46 shammy) and a mage and lock and a 40 fury warrior grouped up to take on SM cath. The two non-guildies insisted on the warrior tanking, we got to the cathedral and he died. I jumped out of the healing role I was filling, RD'd the lock, bubbled the mage, concecrated, tossed up holy shield, seal of light and had 8 of them on me. The lock and mage didn't want to open up b/c they didn't want to get aggro so my guildy (elemental) shammy dropped the healing role as well, popped a mana pot and let loose with everything he had. About 3 seconds later I hear the mage and lock say holy sh*t over vent and just chuckled as they finally followed the shammies suit. Total wipe prevented once again by that "prot pally who couldn't tank trash" (their words).
Joacimcans
Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:41 am
i am not sure what level you are now but i used a thrashblade while leveling prot http://thottbot.com/i17705 and i kept it until i was like high level 50's because the proc with reckoning when you have judged light/wisdom and resealed it is amazing. I am considering buying a blink strike to check it out and see if it procs enough to be worthwhile when i am AoE grinding.
_________________
Uthadanin
Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:50 am
I am 42 using the blade of serenity with +1 impact and I have a vanquisher with minor beastslayer.