Skip to content
Maintankadin

Crushing Blows, the Attack Table, and How it All Adds Up

Ohren
Wed May 23, 2007 12:36 pm
Ok, a little bit of a noobie question but I've heard conflicting theories. Now with imp HS, does that make dodge/parry/block less important that stam? I think my total for the three is 55% (can't access Armory from work). With HS, I'd easily get rid of crushing and it is very unlikely I'd run out of charges before I have to refresh it. If I can bring my dodge/miss/parry down about 2% but gain about 200-300 hp with gear swaps, is it worth it?
_________________
"You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a jackass."
Ragnor
Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:24 pm
This should be a sticky, good clear explanation. When I add up my stats in prot gear I often freak out because I'm 5% short then I remember 490 defense adds to mob miss heh Wink
Amaegor
Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:08 am
Thank you for this post, and how easily you can obtain the necessary information at a glance. So many warriors have been trying to prove me wrong on being uncrushable, I guess perhaps they are feeling a little threatened by the tankadins!
_________________
Abira
Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:42 am
With 102.4% avoidance and activating Holy Shield - it's enough to push crush off the table. So now everything is dodge/parry/block or miss.

For that reason, is there a need anymore for Redoubt for the purposes of this calculation only ( I know it's useful elsewhere, talking about uncrushability ).
Lore
Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:01 am
Redoubt is unnecessary for pushing off crushing blows at that point. That's intended, it's too unreliable to really count on to make up the difference. It's okay for AOE tanking, and can help fill in the gaps before you're uncrushable without it, but unfortunately it quickly becomes 5 extra talent points to spend to get Shield Spec =\
_________________
I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
Pollypally
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 am
in my ingame stats, the missing crit isnt added to my miss value.

does this mean its not there anymore?
(i still moss alot more than the 6% showing)

im currently @ 95% avoidance according to the ingame stats in the character window. should i then addon another invisible 5% miss to come to 100%?

if this is the case, why do lvl 70 mobs still land hits on me?
(eg demon hunter supplicants)
_________________
Phaex
Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:13 pm
The trashmobs in magtheridons lair seem to have an unusually high weapon skill too.

I've seen them crush quite a few times. The odd thing is, they are lvl 71 or 72. Not that crushings from these will kill anyone, just wanted to add it.
_________________
Rhodair
Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 am
Awesome guide! This has helped me out worlds. I always heard about uncrushable but didn't fully grasp it until reading this. Smile


Candiru
Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 pm
Or restore some % of mana when you block with redoubt up, that would be nice. Or they could make consuming redoubt charges restore some HP/mana/buff in some other way your whole party. That would help encourage paladins to tank Smile
_________________
Abira
Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:43 pm
Would it be better if the table were

Miss
Block
Dodge
Parry?

I'm finding that as I approach 60, I dodge, parry etc, and totally negate the wonderful reactive damage that makes prot-spec levelling so effective.

BoSanc and Holy Shield becomes useless because I dodge and parry so often.

In instances - sure, not as big of a deal, but in the plaguelands and soon outlands, I can't take on as many mobs as I was used to in my 40s/early 50s, and do even with redoubt I find my holy shield charges going to waste because of dodge/parry.

If shield were higher up in the table, yee hah.

I understand though that that breaks the block mechanic with partial damage and all that. Would be nice then if Holy Shield procc'd off of a parry then also.
Lore
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 pm
It would be no different unless you stacked so much block rating that you would push dodges and parries off the table as well as hits and crushes. A table that looks like this:

1-10 Miss
11-60 Block
61-80 Dodge
81-100 Parry

is functionally equivalent to one that looks like this:

1-10 Miss
11-30 Dodge
31-50 Parry
51-100 Block

Equal chance that a random number between 1 and 100 would be a block in both tables, the difference is only which number results in which outcome (which doesn't really matter).

You could feasibly at that point continue stacking more block to push dodge and parry off the table, and you would probably generate more threat, but you'd also take more damage.
_________________
I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
corc
Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:16 pm
OK, who is the mod for this section? this should be stickied, imo.

Threads like this are needed for a lot of things to help reduce the duplicate threads like "rate my gear", "gems?" and "kings defender?" (<-- my personal favorite Razz).
_________________
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"