Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is it my fault?

djellum
Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:30 pm
Have seen much improvement since the first post. recently did Mara at 46 with a group of 45-46's. Rolled the whole place except the princess without crowd control except a few traps. We lasted about 10+ minutes agaist princess and took her down halfway, but no dice had to have help:(

Got a few regulars for my normal groups so we have some experience together, and I feel more knowledgeable now so I can lead em a bit better. Pugs have improved because of this too (had a mage get pissy and leave, he wouldnt slow down so got Salv from me and the healer whether he liked it or not:). still working on CC when we have it and trying different kill orders etc, but a fun experience now.

Just got my Gem studded band and in a level im going to pvp for this as a match
http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?source=live;witem=19523

Also finally got decent equip for my trouble spots (weapon and shield), got these
http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?witem=17943 (put the fiery weapon ench from the badlands quest on it
http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?source=live;witem=17718

should be getting better, when my group can take the princess without too much trouble were headed to sunken temple.

Thanks for all your help, im loving this toon more every day. Got a couple of group freinds starting Warriors cause they want to be able up in the #$%^ like I am:)
kalbear
Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:32 pm
Some random advice:

mark the casters first. They're less likely to get reactive aggro than the melee, and so they need to be hit directly by you to start increasing threat.

make sure everyone knows the order of the marks and follows it.
bind the raid marks to hotkeys so you can do it easily.

If DPS wants to go beat up on things you're not marking and do their own thing, let them. Just make sure your healer isn't getting beaten up.
djellum
Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm
yah we have a BM spec hunter thats ussually with us. We generaly have her off tank a caster with her boar and the dps burns em down while i take on other stuff. if theres more than one and we have no sheeper i ussually just target the other with my first attacks and let the rest of the fighters build aggro off my shield. Other than that just follow the kill order. so far so good.

My philosophy is kill what dies fast first and keep the long fights for when its 5 on 1 or 2. Unless theres a reason not too anyway:)
Corynthia
Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:39 pm
I'm a little late here, but yup, most of the advice given here is great.

I always ask for leader to mark (or I build a group myself). I set up a kill order, and demand that no one but me does any of the pulling. I also ask that no one starts dps up until my first consecrate comes to a close; they need to give you time to arrange mobs and get them all packed up together. I find that once you have a solid threat lead, no one should be able to pull the mobs off of you. It's only when they pull aggro early that you stop getting extra threat from Holy Shield blocks and Ret Aura, that problems start.

As far as early control of the fight goes, get your healers out of the habit of using HoTs early (or late, because they sometimes carry over between battles). Also teach them to wait until you're down to 40-50% health before they let their first heal go through. The longer you have at the start of the battle to stick those mobs to you, the easier it gets.

Three other things worth mentioning:

1. You should definitely try to outlevel the mobs a little bit. As a tank, you are the most susceptible to the problems that come with being underleveled. If regular mobs are your level + 3, you probably shouldn't be tanking the instance. At 70, this changes a little.

2. It's important that you stack plenty of stamina, especially at the lower levels. The longer you can last without heals at the start of a battle, the longer you have to position, consecrate, and stick those mobs to you before you have to compete with your healers. If I lose aggro early in a fight, the average group is probably looking at a wipe. At the very least, it makes me grumpy.

3. For caster pulls, try to hit them with your shield if you have it, and then take off around a corner or a pillar, or anything that will get you out of LoS. All the mobs, including casters, will then pile up in Consecrate range. I tend to tell groups, on each pull, if it's a long pull (LoS, or giving runners some room), or if I'm going to charge into a group after I throw my shield. If it's a caster heavy group, and it's too far to cover, I tend to just charge in and keep the melee packed up with the casters.

One last piece of advice:

Anytime you lose a mob before you get midway into a consecrate, watch to see where that mob goes. As soon as the fight is over, publically call that person on the problem. I say things like:

"Zora (Mage), wait a little longer before you AOE; slow down on initial dps, don't bother sheeping if you don't do it early enough, etc."

or

"Penelope (Priest) it's fine to bubble me before a pull, but once I grab aggro, don't do anything until I'm about half dead," or "Try not to heal me until you see me start Consecrating, etc."

If you call the problems out, and with authority, people will hopefully respond. If they don't, when the wipes happen, it's a lot more obvious to everyone else who's causing the trouble. At the same time, many people are still learning, so be clean and clear about calling out problems. Don't blame people, but correct them. If they just completely suck, and won't listen or learn, don't ever give them another /invite.
_________________