Skip to content
Maintankadin

Strafing is my weakness

Thels
Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:05 am
S - Forward
X - Backward
A - Turn Left
D - Turn Right
Z - Strafe Left
C - Strafe Right

I use 4 hotkeyed action bars:
Shift 1 to Shift =
1 to =
Q to ]
Shift Q to Shift ]

However, I always mouseturn, so I never use the A and D keys for turning, and when I strafe, I do so with rightclick A & D. So maybe I should map Z and C to something useful.

I also recently replaced my mouse by a 5 button mouse, and haven't mapped Mouse4 and Mouse5 yet. AND I have the extra 18 keys of my G15 keyboard still to map, though I will probably fill most with raid leader messages and commands.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Frickit
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:43 am
A D strafe
mouseturn
_________________
DramaticBaby
Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:06 am
I still use Q and E for strafing usually, and I haven't deleted turn keys either (A and D), though I never use them.

My little layout is like this:
Mouse button 4 - Judgement of Light
Shift-Mouse button 4 - Divine Protection
1 - HotR
2 - SoR
3 - Holy Shield
4 - Consecration
5 - HoJ (I think)
Shift-Q - RF


Then I don't remember anymore Razz
_________________
Neroth
Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am
I use the thumb buttons on the N52 for movement, but I got rid of turn. Just strafe and mouse turn for me and I've never found a situation where I wish I had them back.

Also... Strafe is so powerful because you run away at full speed while still keeping mobs in your 180 degree arc so that you can still block.

I agree with one of the posters above... go play a rogue in BG's for just a little while and your movement skills will increase by a long shot.

I can go anywhere I want one handed by using just the mouse if I need to by either holding the left and right mouse buttons down to run forward, or by using the autorun button i have bound to a useless button on my mouse.
OntetheProt
Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:35 am
I bound strafe to the two buttons on the left of my mouse. I don't use turn left, or turn right. Kind of pointless. The only movement key that is bound to my keyboard is move back, which is default "S".

This allows me to use the whole section of 123,qwe,a shift +s D, zxc. With key modifier macros it makes for a nice clean UI and an effective set-up in my opinion. It is nice to have one hand for movement and the other for abilities.
_________________
Widdox
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:13 am
Holding shift while using your normal left/right turn will strafe you.

Also holding right mous while using left/right turn will strage you.
_________________
Aranbenjo
Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:56 am
my g11 has 2 levels
F1->F12
\-1->Backspace

\Autoatt
1->backspace are tank action
Fs are for modding

1 HS
2 HotR
3 Judge
4 SoR
5 Cons
6 stun
7 hammer
8 shieldtoss
9 exo

F1 taunt
F2 -> F6 seal
the rest is negly but special position F8 and F9 are trinket
backspace for divine prot
CTRL+BackSpace for LoH

move with arrow keys --- turn with mouse
_________________
The savior of the broken,the beaten and the damned

Aranbenjo.Thunderhorn.EU
zoae
Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 pm
I have changed my key-bindings considerably.

When I initially started changing them, I ran into a similar problem. I eventually bound SHIFT-A and SHIFT-D to turn and have A and D as strafe. I'm not entirely convinced that it will stay this way. I like to try to avoid using modifiers for my main spells and all my situational/CD spells are bound elsewhere. There may be a time when I bind SHIFT-A and/or SHIFT-D to something else. At the moment, I would not want to deprive myself of the ability to strafe while using an ability so this is how it will stay.

There are very few situations in which I actually keyboard turn. Especially as a tank, being able to react fast and move fast is key. Keyboard turning does not allow me to move fast or react fast. Generally, I will only keyboard turn in cities if my mouse hand is occupied (read: if I am being lazy) and the Modifier bindings work great for that. I can probably count on one hand how many situations in which I would think about keyboard turning. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Reminds me of an older Dark Legacy comic . Funny stuff.

My two cents.

edit: grammar and usage
Arnock
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:34 am
1 Avenger's Shield
2 /castsequence Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of Righteousness
3 /castsequence Holy Shield, Consecration, Judgement of light
Shift+e Judgement
Shift+x Holy shield
Shift+c exorcism
Shift+q consecration
Shift+F Hammer of wrath


for 969 simply alternate pressing 2 and 3
_________________


Prot gear if armory is ret
daemonym
Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:50 am
hold right click and hit your keyboard turn keys (A,D i assume) to strafe, that's what i do. and since you have your skills easily mapped out you shouldn't need to click anything, yes? i like having the option to keyboard turn because it's a lot easier for me to make subtle movements with it than with a mouse. like when a single target mob does its little back and forth bit deciding where it wants to stand or up close to a hunter type mob you can use subtle keyboard turns and back stepping to walk them backwards.
_________________
astole
Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:50 pm
sorry, but why is strafing needed?