Skip to content
Maintankadin

Engineering vs Jewelcrafting

Kaelie
Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:32 am
I've done a good chunk of both Engineering and Jewelcrafting with Enchanting instead of Mining, and it's a real pain. If you've got a friend who will discount you or an alt who can mine for you it'll make your life a lot easier. If not, you'll need a lot of patience to stockpile enough to actually max them out.

That said, if you can manage it, go for it, more BoPs ftw.
_________________

Oranniv
Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:14 am
I'm JC and Eng. I love it. I had mining to level and train JC, then farmed all the mats for eng, and finally dropped mining for Eng.
_________________
Xanatos
Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:46 am
It's all a matter of preference.

I personally feel that once you make the choice between JC and engy, enchanting will be a better choice for the 2nd profession. I went this route mostly for the 24 total spell dmg to my rings since I was planning for the future when dps/aggro will start becoming a problem.
_________________
Igrado
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:55 am
I want to drop JC for enchanting just to be able to DE all those damn greens from BT farming myself Razz Plus, i spend more money on Enchanting mats than I do on gem cuts, guildies will do that for free or a stranger will for 5g.

Haven't done it yet though... still not to certain what I want. I'm just not impressed with JC so far. It's just to easy to get someone else to do it for me. Gathering professions FTW is my ultimate conclusion Sad
_________________

An Officers Guide to the Paladin Tank
Lore
Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 am
Honestly, the best thing about Jewelcrafting is the ability to basically print your own money. I'm generally able to, on average, get 2g for every 1g I spend on adamantite ore at the AH.
_________________
Me, LOL!
kurros
Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 am
The BoP JC epic gems are great. The comparison to enchanter ring enchants isn't really fair, because it's ignoring an important factor: those ring enchants are expensive. Spell damage to ring, 8 lps 8 gpe... on my server that is some 200g per ring.

The JC BoP epics are just a FREE bonus, because they use the same regular raw gem as the non-epic cuts.

In fact, for a new JC they are cheaper and easier to get than the regular blue cuts, because you just need to rep grind to learn them, while the good blue recipes cost 500+g on the auction house on most servers.

JC is a pretty good profession. While enchanting can get a bigger benefit with the ring enchants, the JC bonus is cheaper and easier to get. Besides, there is nothing preventing you from taking both, that is what I did with my new paladin.

The only thing I think jewelcrafting needs is some updated trinkets, the blue trinkets are amazing when you first hit 70 but are replaced easily by endgame raid drops, it would be nice to see some epic craftable trinkets with primal nethers required, and some really amazing trinkets with nether vortex required.
_________________