Skip to content
Maintankadin

Taunt Weirdness?

Kellann
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:58 pm
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31789

"Up to 3"

...what it does is place an invisible short buff on the player you targeted (or the mob's targeted player if you target a mob).

The next 3 mobs that 'attempt to attack' that player use up one of the 3 charges of this buff.


I'm fairly sure that 'attempt to attack' metaphorically means that all mobs 'cast' slam-like melee swings on targets. Once the swing is cast, there's a 'cast time' before it lands. If you taunt during that 'cast', once that swing lands and they attempt to queue the next, they will retarget if affected by your taunt.


This can be quite bad when the dice pick 3 aboms to add to you, instead of stripping the 3 ghouls off the poor soul that TC'd too soon.
_________________
Kellann - Uther
Wyleai
Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:15 pm
I'm leveling a new paladin and seeing a bit of this too. When my taunt fails I get a chat message to that effect.

But sometimes I taunt and the mob along with all other mobs just keeps on doing what it was doing. Not often, but it happens. This only seems to have started up within the last week or two.

I'm wondering if there's an intermittent bug in some recent patch.
_________________

bub64882
Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:30 am
I just recently started my first Paladin, and was in Ragefire Chasm last night in my first instance. I was anxious to try out the months and months of reading I've done here (love this site, and the reason I rolled a Paladin). I was really perplexed by RD. I thought I had read here that a "target of target" macro was no longer needed, but about 25% of the time I used RD last night I got the damn "hand", asking me to click the friendly target that had aggro. This was with a MOB not on me targeted. The other 75% of the time, the taunt worked while I targeted the MOB.

This is just RFC, so there was rarely more than three MOBs in any one fight. Still, I am confused.

It was my first time tanking in a group, so it's quite likely I was doing something wrong.
moduspwnens
Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 am
Well, the OP wasn't talking about how many mobs are supposed to come off, which mobs are supposed to come off, or whether or not that selected mob always comes off. It was about taunting off of other Paladins during trash waves in Hyjal, and that's a different weirdness than what has been brought in the last several post.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
bub64882
Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:00 am
Ahhh. Thanks!
Candiru
Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 am
I sometimes get this in BT, I taunt off our warrior tank (Just as I am low on mana and want to get some hits on trash) and no resist message, nothing.

I have the tankadin addon which spams in chat when I get a taunt resist, and fairly often I get no message, just a CD wasted and nothing happens.

It could well be a bug.
_________________
Gerome
Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:14 am
I noticed this too. My RD NEVER works on ou rmain tank. In Hyjal, I'd try to taunt some trash or something off of his, and it NEVER works. >.< I don't know whats up with your RD on mobs though; don't really think I've had that problem. Just keep in mind that we can't RD off of NPCs (sadly) because our taunt only works on people in our group/raid (though I'm being told this is being fixed in patch 2.4.3... God I hope so!)
_________________
Gerome- Level 70 Dwarf Paladin -Maelstrom US

Angry Dwarf with a Blue Rage Bar!!!
RAWR!!!!!!
Snake-Aes
Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:22 am
RD, while castable on friendly NPCs(since patch 2.3), isn't expecting them by default. Just target the npc and it'll be cast normally.

A new macro that is out for RD is

/cast [target=target,noharm][target=targettarget,noharm] Righteous Defense.

Usability is identical.
_________________

Spankadin in development.
.'>';