Skip to content
Maintankadin

[10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

Zeianna
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:33 am

[10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

This was pretty fun. Somehow we lost the other tank on Gortok right before he died, and I wound up solo tanking both Jormungars. Why is this worth a post? Well, try it! The Coliseum has so far been a roflstomp, and until the heroic mode is unlocked, this may actually be a good challenge for your group. I know it sure was exciting for us!

p.s. I also wound up solo tanking Jaraxxus and his adds as well from 23% down, as we lost the add tank during that fight, too. Must've been a bad night for the healers.
sublimated
Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

Zeianna wrote:This was a pretty fun. Somehow we lost the other tank on Gortok right before he died, and I wound up solo tanking both Jormungars. Why is this worth a post? Well, try it! The Coliseum has so far been a roflstomp, and until the heroic mode is unlocked, this may actually be a good challenge for your group. I know it sure was exciting for us!

p.s. I also wound up solo tanking Jaraxxus and his adds as well from 23% down, as we lost the add tank during that fight, too. Musta been a bad night for the healers.


Sounds like you need better healers
Dobbelsteen
Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 am

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

You need a second tank for the worms? We just had a lock tank it
Treck
Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 am

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

Solotanking would only prove difficult on the first boss, but i wouldnt be suprised if you could nuke him and bubble out of the debuffs without having them kill you.
Solotanked Worms aswell last week, since the lock tank couldnt keep aggro from the dpsers o.O We figured we would get more dps out of it anyway, tanking both worms at once kinda makes you ignore the poison debuff since youll have the fire one anyway. And P3 is a joke ofc.
Solotanked Jaraxxus aswell, nothing special really. We have found it to be easier just using one tank for most fights nowadays since increased dps does a lot. Only Thorim and Council we use two tanks on (should try council with one, but to lazy since it works just fine)
Should try solotanking Northrend Beasts from P1, lets see if all can be solotanked in 10man ^^
Aubade
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

Treck wrote:Solotanking would only prove difficult on the first boss, but i wouldnt be suprised if you could nuke him and bubble out of the debuffs without having them kill you.
Solotanked Worms aswell last week, since the lock tank couldnt keep aggro from the dpsers o.O We figured we would get more dps out of it anyway, tanking both worms at once kinda makes you ignore the poison debuff since youll have the fire one anyway. And P3 is a joke ofc.
Solotanked Jaraxxus aswell, nothing special really. We have found it to be easier just using one tank for most fights nowadays since increased dps does a lot. Only Thorim and Council we use two tanks on (should try council with one, but to lazy since it works just fine)
Should try solotanking Northrend Beasts from P1, lets see if all can be solotanked in 10man ^^


Yeah, I solotanked alot of 10M this week as well. Haven't tried beasts or jaraxxus solo but as far as Uld10 goes most of it is soloable. (FreyaX3 is noticeably easier solotanking as well.) The only one i really don't like solo-tanking is kologarn, but that's mostly just an add-pickup debate since i like to have consecrate down on the ground before they spawn.
smeej
Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 am

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

Gormok is very easy to solo tank if your dps is high enough (and you are a paladin). HoTs help, too.

Jaraxxas is doable, but kind of a pain when the Infernals show up

But yeah, it's a hobby of mine to solo tank everything I can, esp. in 10 man. Solo tanking Ignis is pretty enjoyable.
mosa
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

I'm thinking that this is a jump I'm going to make, faster zerg dps, espeically running 2 healers and then just bubble at 6-7 stacks... I tried my best to solo tank last week's Jax kill with another person in tank get, I think it's doable, again probably for the faster zerg... wonder if we'll need 2 on faction...
kanst
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

Dobbelsteen wrote:You need a second tank for the worms? We just had a lock tank it


Thats what we have done, I thought that was the intended mechanic. The lock picks up whatever is rooted turns him away from the raid and builds threat. The only part you need 2 tanks for is the first guy
Seloei
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

If you have a ret / holy paladin in the raid, he can BoP the tank and remove the debuffs also like you would use Divine Shield, atleast thats what the other 10man team did to remove it.
hoho
Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

I managed to tank 10-man impaler from ~40%->death without using any methods for removing impale on myself. Only reason we wiped was that two of our DPS'ers managed to die in fire and we thought it would be faster to just go again. By the time boss dropped I had around 7 or 8 stacks and AD hadn't procced. I was at 41k raid buffed HP with paladin, shaman and druid healers. Our raid seemed to have somewhat low DPS. It should be easily solo tankable assuming people nuke those adds when they get on healer's back and you use bubbles to remove impale.
fuzzygeek
Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

hoho wrote:I was at 41k raid buffed HP with paladin, shaman and druid healers. Our raid seemed to have somewhat low DPS.


3 healers seems like a lot to me, but I tend to run really, really tank- and healer-light.
hoho
Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

fuzzygeek wrote:3 healers seems like a lot to me, but I tend to run really, really tank- and healer-light.
All of the people were on not-so-well-geared alts, including myself with several ilvl200 items so we thought it's best to play safe and get a healer instead of dps.
Teneb
Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:42 am

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

We did one tank 3 heals and I didn't even have to bubble off the 10 stack. Seems it caps at that point.
Zothor
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: [10] Solo tanking Northrend Beasts

I've soloed the 10 man every week so far. A standard bubbleoff macro clears the debuffs... I usually clear them at 4. Our dps, especially with the extra person, has no problem burning him down before I hit 3 more bleeds.

We use a warlock to tank the rooted worm because he doesn't get hit by the knockback. Any ranged with decent threat/stamina works fine.

Icehowl obviously doesn't require a 2nd tank.

Jaraxxus picking up the adds was fun, but that fight is such a roflstomp anyhow it's not even worth talking about. DPS had no issue burning him down.

Faction champions doesn't require a tank at all. I suspect Twin Valkyrs will be the first fight that vaguely requires two tanks. If it doesn't, I'll probably solotank the 10 man regular forever. Heroic mode will probably require a more standard composition.