Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

Ezharon
Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

Belloc wrote:PvP gear does absolutely nothing for this fight. The point of this fight is to control the mobs, kill the mobs as fast as you can, and get his as little as you can. PvP gear helps with none of these.

Have you try? I understand the point of the fight. And sorry but "kill as fast as you can" doesn't seem to be a good tactic to get the achievement. So regarding the achievement, is someone have already try to make sure that PVP gear really does nothing?
Threatco
Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

You had Mortal Strike on him right?
fafhrd
Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

Ezharon wrote:
Belloc wrote:PvP gear does absolutely nothing for this fight. The point of this fight is to control the mobs, kill the mobs as fast as you can, and get his as little as you can. PvP gear helps with none of these.

Have you try? I understand the point of the fight. And sorry but "kill as fast as you can" doesn't seem to be a good tactic to get the achievement. So regarding the achievement, is someone have already try to make sure that PVP gear really does nothing?


I don't get it, what do you think PvP gear will do? Why would anyone try the fight in pvp gear, achievement or no? A pvp trinket is the only thing that can be useful for it (and not by a lot).

Are you saying just because the achievement is called "Resilience will fix it" you think the fight might change in some random way if people are in resilience gear?
Ezharon
Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

fafhrd wrote:Are you saying just because the achievement is called "Resilience will fix it" you think the fight might change in some random way if people are in resilience gear?

I'm not saying. I'm asking. I'm asking if someone has already check cause we don't have PVP gear so we can't check ourself if resilience change something on this encounter. So is the achievement name just kind of a joke? Or is resilience really ease this fight (like with resilience even clothies healers don't bother if dk ou warrior are focusing them)? I'd like to have someone answering "we have check and the answer is no it doesn't help at all". Not someone telling me that this is a raid boss and I should L2P without even try it before. I'm not asking how to down this boss, we have already down it twice since last week. There are fights where 2p of FR gear help. Maybe 2 or 3p of resilience gear help on this encounter and the name of the achievement is not just a joke?
Threatco
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

It has been tested. It is not any better for this fight then any other.
Kelaan
Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

Threatco wrote:You had Mortal Strike on him right?

We had mortal strike and wound poison in him, as well as a hunter tossing aimed shots.

What's your peoples' average DPS on things? I think most of us, when not feared/cc'ed, were doing ~3k-4k dps. (3.5-4k seems to be average for our group -- it's disheartening when I outdps a third of our full-time dps people. ;)) I have a hard time believing that we're not at (or above) the expected gear level for the encounter, but wonder if your raid team has rock star DPS who enable you to ignore the healing (between earth shield, flash heals, and the occasional riptide, it was tough even while we were trying to rotate interruptions/CC's on the other healers).

I'm hoping that our next attempts will have us trying to separate the healers from the target by far enough that they can't actually heal them.
Joanadark
Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 am

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

The reference to resil in the acheivement is a joke. It refers sardonically to the burst certain comps are capable of in arena where they can literally blow up your entire team in a couple seconds. It is a PvP joke.

Resil does not help whatsoever in this fight. The damage reduction from resil that works in PvP is turned off in PvE, so the only defensive benefit resil grants you is the reduction in chance to crit. Ultimately this means nothing because even without crits the mobs will still destroy a clothie who doesnt use defensive ability and just stands there eating it.

The only thing potentially worth considering is for key people like healers to wear the WG pvp trinket with AP or spell power to use in case they get cycloned.
Threatco
Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

We don't have super amazing DPS. It's sort of like a raid boss kill. Takes us about 1-2 mins of solid burn on him to get him dead. Goes down slowly but surely. Key is to not let anyone get ganked while doing it.

If your burning a target and sirviving for 2 mins and still not able to bring his HP down I have no clue. We may have been lucky with the druid healer, as he was kept banished most the time. If you have 2 other healers to deal with, I would suggest setting up a reliable CC chain on them.
fafhrd
Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:18 am

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

did terribad alts+friends-of-friends 10 man tonight, FC was still the only hard part (bulwark of azzinoth + shadowmoon insignia tanking didn't make beasts any easier though), but it was noticeably harder than on mains. Every mob took forever to die, making heals slip through in between CC a lot more often.

In spite of our bad DPS, I still felt a ton more useful as prot than fury, so many stuns and interrupts and silences to use, as well as easy sundering, intervene and an offensive dispell every few seconds.
fafhrd
Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:33 am

Re: [Faction Champions] Preparation for Boss #3

Kelaan wrote:What's your peoples' average DPS on things? I think most of us, when not feared/cc'ed, were doing ~3k-4k dps. (3.5-4k seems to be average for our group -- it's disheartening when I outdps a third of our full-time dps people. ;)) I have a hard time believing that we're not at (or above) the expected gear level for the encounter, but wonder if your raid team has rock star DPS who enable you to ignore the healing (between earth shield, flash heals, and the occasional riptide, it was tough even while we were trying to rotate interruptions/CC's on the other healers).


I assume you mean on 10 man. 3-4k when not feared/ccd seems a bit low assuming you're in a good amount of uld25 gear. Our DPS ranged from 3.7k for people who didn't really do much other than DPS to 2k for people who kited/cc'd a lot over the full fight, so likely a lot higher for the periods when just DPSing. This was a 4 minute kill with one mage DCing and dying on the pull. We don't try to ignore the heals, but some do get through interrupts, and we tranq/spellsteal/mass dispell/shieldslam off as many hots/shields as we can while MS effects are up. No shaman unfortunately, purge would be nice.

Maybe check that your DPS aren't wasting time casting AoE spells - the 75% aoe damage reduction even applies to things like whirlwind and divine storm, so casting them at all can be wasteful.