Skip to content
Maintankadin

Koralon

Braundo
Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Koralon

I had problems with some raid debuff making him all covered in fire and making me THINK there was a fire patch underneath him. Like Living Bomb or Immolate or something.
Sahiel
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Koralon

Racerover wrote:I actually solo tanked this through the meteor fists somehow on our first kill. We didn't bother looking at the strat. I have never felt squishier in my life than I did then. I have near 50k raid buffed and meteor fists was doing about 45k. LOL

Same, my usual OT was Arms at the time and we couldn't be bothered to wait for him to switch back Prot so we just went for it and I ate all the meteor fists... solo tanking it certainly made it a lot more fun than I think it would be doing it the 'proper' way though :D
Worldie
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Koralon

Can someone explain me why some people are convinced you have to constantly move the boss?
KysenMurrin
Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Koralon

Just tried him for the first time with a not-very-optimal 10-man group. Our usual main healer and 2nd tank weren't available, so we had some lesser geared healers and a poorly geared alt soaking Meteor Fists (35k buffed health, he seemed to be ok taking the damage). Found it wasn't particularly hard, but on the two pulls we had I managed to eventually die to two Meteor Fist hits in a row, or a Meteor Fist followed by a flame tick (I actually got a BRez, so died three times in two pulls).

Got him under 40% both tries - we might have got him once the healers got used to the damage, unfortunately we'd started late and took too long on Archavon and Emalon, and the battle was starting. Horde took WG, so no more attempts tonight, looks like.
yappo
Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Koralon

Worldie wrote:Can someone explain me why some people are convinced you have to constantly move the boss?


It's not as much a "must" as making life easier for us puggers. When he puts the lighter under your bum you have to move SOMEWHERE, and it's easier just telling everyone we're walking clockwise before the pull. Pugs have a nasty tendency to take peculiar actions when a boss suddenly faces the raid.

In this specific case you create a nice rythm to the fight by slowly kiting him backwards in a circle whenever a tank stands in burning goo, with melee dps slowly tagging along on his heels and casters following slightly further behind. However, you're 100% correct -- it's not a must.
Doing this with your guild I'm pretty certain he goes down faster if you glue him more or less in one spot, but on the other hand, if you're doing this with your raiding guild you don't need to read up on tactics because Koralon is dead before you have time to describe the fight over vent anyway :D
Belloc
Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Koralon

The aoe on the fire is pretty big. Strafing around works alright, but it can be problematic.

We used strafing though, so ....
Mithos
Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:17 am

Re: Koralon

You can just dance in melee with the boss, like Razorscale or even the dragon boss in Hellfire Ramparts. I was basically standing on top of him and he didn't punish me by moving and fucking it all up, so should be fine. As a note, the fire debuff stays on for a few secs after you move, so don't be fooled into moving a lot, just be physically out of the fire, I even stood between 2 patches close to each other fine.

We also kited Archavon to the instance entrance (so we assumed we could with all of them, for the sake of the sanity of my friends D:), so next week I can test my crazy Earth, Wind and Fire strategy.
Grehn|Skipjack
Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:34 am

Re: Koralon

Worldie wrote:Can someone explain me why some people are convinced you have to constantly move the boss?

Moving the boss forces retarded melee dps out of whatever fire they're inevitably standing in.
Tekkel
Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:06 am

Re: Koralon

What I find awkward about this boss is his throwing fire on the floor and immediately popping his aoe fire ability.
It's no real issue on 25 man when you're tank/melee with 25k hp but I did this on my mage with popping fire ward every cooldown and he still ate me with 1 tick of the groundfire + 3 ticks of aoe fire damage with allready 3.5k absorbed by the fire ward.
Found it a bit insane that combination can kill ranged so easy with nearly nothing to do about then popping a healstone or pot the second it happens. Healers die even faster to that combo it seems.
I expect they nerf the damage from his aoe ability or make it so he doesn't do flame patches anymore 5 seconds before his whirl.

Disc priest just owns this fight as raidhealer though. Saves so many deaths...
hoho
Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Koralon

I've tanked it and found that it's generally enough to move the boss just as much that if you have fire under you then take a few steps so the fire is under the boss. By the time new fires spawn that one under boss is gone.
Tekkel wrote:Disc priest just owns this fight as raidhealer though. Saves so many deaths...
Gogo 60k+ hps burst after having shielded entire raid :P
yappo
Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Koralon

Slightly OT, but (I hope) fun anyway.

Downing Koralon may wipe your raid.

So, a brutal wipe at VoA 25, Koralon at 2M at wipe even AFTER a full quarter of the raid learned the hard way that standing in fire is a lot less forgiving than eating a lava-wave on OS, during the first 30 seconds. In again and focus, focus focus. Don't stand in middle hexagon because flames are a pain spotting there. Don't stand directly in front of boss, and DO interrupt your current cast if standing in fire. Down he goes, with all of five people still alive.

Spiked on adrenaline we (minus two dc) hammer down Emalon.

I'm distributing loot (me being one of two tanks) when a genious decides we're so awesome that 12 people present is a good start for pulling Arch. I was still distributing said loot when Arch was 100% guaranteed to hit his enrage timer :D

All in all a wonderful 101 in the "don't get cocky" exam :D

Oh well, a realm first, I guess. Downing Koralon to wipe on Arch...
Belloc
Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Koralon

One thing that more players need to catch on to is watching their debuff list. On this fight, you don't even need to look for fires -- just watch your debuff list. I mean, let's be honest... the fire is an AOE, right? The AOE is bigger than the fire. If you're near a fire, you're still taking damage. How do you know if you're far enough away? The debuff disappears.

So...

Just watch your debuff list. Fire debuff appears, move, fire debuff disappears. Simple and obvious. And, even better, it helps you on so many other fights.
Belarkan
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Koralon

Or install deadly boss mods and move when it tells you to do so.
Epimer
Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:26 am

Re: Koralon

Or use any form of Combat Text that shows incoming damage.