Markoh wrote:I love how you insult Joandark and then tell him he's too mean to you. You really need to grow up and understand the difference between criticism and an insult.
I'm not sure how accusing someone of being an atypically good player in an atypically good guild is an insult. The ivory tower line probably doesn't help move the discussion forward, but it's a familiar concept and expresses precisely what I feel is going on.
Pitying someone is in effect calling them pathetic. That's fairly mean and insulting in my book. I don't think I've derailed the discussion in any way by pointing it out. My post had relevant content that moved the discussion forward -- as evidenced by your cogent counterarguments.
Markoh wrote:Saying that guilds keep static skill level is asinine and short-sighted. Constant turn-over in itself causes your total skill level to vary.
This is true. But the average skill level of the average guild does not change over time. People's skills in this game top out.
Markoh wrote:You were right there is alot of turnover in this game, and how well you recruit and pick recruits is the determinant of your overall skill level as a guild. If your guild is keeping a static skill level then your either the worst/best guild in the world or you are just doing an average job at recruiting.
This is true, but I'm not sure how it relates to the point. The average guild's skill level is going to be static then, by your own admission. But I see where you are going with your argument below.
Markoh wrote:How can you say people don't get better?
People will get better at specific fights, but the rate at which they learn the new fight isn't going to improve much once they've been playing the game for a chunk of time. The hardest fight they can reliably complete is not going to change. If you make fights harder and harder, you just make it take longer and longer for these guilds to complete encounters until it gets to the point where they reach their maximum skill level and slam their heads repeatedly into an encounter they can't do.
And we know what happens then.
Now, this should and will happen. We're arguing over what point that should be happening at.
Markoh wrote:Even if what you say is true, that still doesn't make sense as why you should have equal level content on each tier. Each new tier should have a higher skill requirement until the pinnacle of wotlk. If this means that people who are very bad at this game don't get to see all content, then so be it. They are the minority, most people have the chance to see all content available to them they just choose not to invest what is necessary to see them.
All statistics I've seen indicate they are not the minority. Like 10-15% of the raiding population has downed Yogg. (Shocked?) Assuming they aren't the minority, I've addressed this topic in excruciating detail in previous posts and won't rehash my arguments here.
Markoh wrote:From what I've seen of your last couple posts though you will see this as nothing but a personal attack and that's fine. I just hope some of the other people who read this might gain something from it. I think the mechanics of current level are greater in difficulty than previous, it's just they are so under-tuned that you can completely ignore them.
I've gained something from your post. And I don't think from the nature of my previous posts you really have good reason to believe I would see this as nothing but a personal attack. I think the way I've argued in prior posts should earn me a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.
To be honest, I'm not really that emotionally invested in the argument. If you've actually run ToC, you know which way the winds are blowing. My only interest here is to explain why they are blowing that way and defend the rationale.
My very first posts in this thread were even meant to assuage the (legitimate) fears of the more skilled players that their content (Hardmodes/Achievements) is coming!
Obviously that last part went very badly.