This is a tougher situation than it appears to be to other raid members (like dodging clouds while performing tank duties in phase 1), which sucks when you're learning the fight. You also have the added suckage in that you're making it to P3 and then effectively "causing" the wipe, which must feel terrible. I know I had a similar situation in learning Steelbreaker Last and I didn't like it at all.
For 25, we used to tank the guardians close to Yogg so that melee could get a few swipes in after the adds are down. We later decided to switch to tanks staying with where your ranged seem to be, about 30 or so yards from Yogg. This is because his silence isn't the typical ~infinite range, it actually has a
set range of 50 yards. Note that 50 yards starts from the center of Yogg, so that's about 30 yards from being able to melee him (where your ranged are). Practically, it's about halfway from Yogg to the wall in the middle parts. I wish I had a screenshot for you.
First I'd like to point out that there are no Immortal Guardians that spawn on Yogg or in melee in P3. Their spawn points are only on the outside of Yogg, probably 10 yards from his actual body. What you are likely seeing are ones that spawned on the far side of Yogg running directly through Yogg to get to your healers. This leads me to believe that your main problem is your camera angle. You need to be sure you've used the camera distance maximizing macro and that you're facing away from Yogg (naturally). If you're zoomed all the way out, you should be able to see all possible spawn points, with the ones on the far edges being fairly close calls on seeing them (you'll see the blip and maybe a leg). This will make pickup a heck of a lot easier, because even in the worst case scenario which I see from time to time (you see a mob spawning on the far side but can't click to target it before it's running through Yogg), you can sacrifice some Sanity if necessary to face Yogg, run in close, spam tab-target until it clicks onto the new Guardian and taunt before that Ret Paladin blissfully hits Divine Storm and gets one-shot.
One thing you'll want to get used to for harder modes (and possibly this one, too) is, well, let me lay out the situation:
You have fairly low Sanity (less than 30), so you don't want to be facing Yogg much at all. Unlike any non-tank, if you screw up (at >2%), it's a guaranteed wipe.
Yogg's Lunatic Gaze does have a cooldown, but the cast is not easily predictable to less than 10 seconds of accuracy.
There are mobs coming usually from behind you, and you need to pick them up (no problem, since HoReck and RD don't require you be facing them).
It isn't always easy to target them immediately (running through Yogg).
But here come the hard parts:
These mobs hit hard, so you want them not hitting you in the back.
You need reasonable threat on these mobs to keep melee from pulling aggro.
You need both of those things pretty quickly because these mobs continue spawning.
This is tough to explain to someone who hasn't tanked the encounter, so you'll have to accept that we here will probably be the only ones to understand the dilemma. Somehow you need to be able to grab mobs from behind you and MacGyver them in front of you very quickly, especially if you're still tanking another. These mobs have somewhat of the odd hitbox/movement issues that the Sartharion Drakes (and Mimiron pre-nerf) had in that they'll sometimes move around in ways that aren't quite intuitive. The kind of flow chart I generally follow is:
Did it spawn in front of you (in or near the raid)? If so, just grab it. These are the easy ones, although they require you to be on your toes and not silenced.
Did it spawn at the side of Yogg? If so, it's going for a healer until you taunt it. Wait til the mob is approximately 1-2 steps behind you, then taunt. Be ready to hit your backup taunt if it fails (happened to me personally only once). What this does is, well, aside from scaring your healers a little, is grab the mob when he's actually just past you server-side. By taunting a little early of him being in front of you, you're accounting for the lag between the server and your client and now he's right in front of you without you having to turn to grab him.
Did it spawn behind Yogg? If so, it's going for a healer now, but your melee are in danger of pulling with a bad cleave or something. These are the ones that really call for some quick on-your-feet thinking, so here's the "flow chart" I follow (basically) from here:
Is Lunatic Gaze still on cooldown? DBM has a timer bar, so if I can see it, this isn't too bad. There's no danger in losing Sanity, so I turn around, tab-target to the Guardian, give it a quick shield throw and/or Exorcism, and I've got it. You still have to MacGyver him to be in front of you after you turn around, but the hardest part is over. Generally I run five or so yards away from Yogg, wait til the mob reaches me, then jump backwards through the mob until he's on the other side. This isn't trivial, though, due to the movement mechanics mentioned earlier.
If not, do I have plenty (>~24) of Sanity? I usually don't. But if I do, I'll usually risk it to grab the mob, knowing that a tick of Lunatic Gaze costs only 4 sanity and I'll probably be able to grab him in one tick (sometimes two).
Is Lunatic Gaze incoming at any second and I don't have plenty of Sanity? This is where it gets iffy. If I have less than 10 sanity, I mentally disable my right mouse button (no turning). I use Pitbull, so raid frames usually turn red when someone has aggro on something. This means I can RD them for a quick taunt while it runs through melee, then hopefully HoReck it (since I should now be able to click-target it) so that it stays on me after RD's effect wears off. By the time it reaches me, I can now hit Judgement and Consecration to get at least a small threat lead over whoever I taunted it from and pull the MacGyver back-jumping move mentioned above so I can get some reasonable threat and avoidance.
fafhrd wrote:Also, what's making this a problem for you in Yogg+3 and not in Yogg+4?
Also, this. All you should be losing is 20% DR, Hodir's save effect, and 10% damage. Well, and you're dealing with the silence. My guess is that Hodir's save effect was what was keeping your melee from going splat previously.
Dang, didn't mean to write you a dissertation, but hope it helps with your problems here and progression into fewer keepers. We had another thread where we discussed which should be dropped, I'll find you a link.
EDIT:
Here it is.