Skip to content
Maintankadin

[10] Ulduar order or progression?

Isetnefret
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:06 pm

[10] Ulduar order or progression?

What is the appropriate order of progression through Ulduar?

So far, our guild has managed:

Flame Leviathan
Razorscale
XT-102
Kologarn
Auriya
Iron Council


In that order.

We have attempted Ignis, Hodir, Freya.

Have not downed either of those three. Any suggestions as to which to focus on next?
Jasari
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

When Ulduar was released Ignis was pretty difficult.

Now that he's been nerfed, I'd take him down next if I were you.

For 10man I recommend the single tank zerg strat, where you just tank in the water, pick up adds and burn him down. Use 2-3 healer depending on how good your DPS.

For Keepers, the order of easiest to hardest is probably:

Freya - Hodir - Thorim - Mimiron

But Freya, Hodir, and Thorim are all pretty equal difficulty with different things that are difficult about each of them. Freya requires more coordination, Thorim requires a tank that knows who to pick up adds in the arena and decent situational awareness in P2. Hodir is just a lot of raid damage and some situation awareness.
kanst
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

Ignis is pretty easy, the trash is harder then the boss. Stick a tank on Ignis and a tank on adds, add tank picks up adds puts in fire, either root/stun them there or just have the tank eat the fire, then move add to water and have a caster blow it up. Rinse repeat. Make sure your healers are healing people in the slag pot.

Out of the two keepers, personally I think Hodir is easier but they are similar in difficulty. If your having trouble on Hodir try having a tank wear some frost resist. When we first did it I tanked the boss with no frost resist during the regular phase and a warrior with full frost resist taunted frozen blows. Now a days we have 1 tank with no frost resist tank it and the healers just keep him up.

I hate freya, personal preference but I hate her
Senador
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

I actually recomend a slightly different order.

Though start with Ignis. Get him out of the way.

For Keepers on 10, I would say:

Thorim -> Hodir -> Freya -> Mimiron

Thorim, once you figure out splitting up the raid, it becomes a very easily repeatable fight. Hodir, while we did him first, there always seems to be one or two little Snafu's in the encounter while learning it, or with newer people; also get people into the mindset if they screw up a flash freeze they are essentially dead, and they'll start learning really quick when the other people don't keep bailing them out. Freya, can be frustrating, because with no elders, almost the entire fight is DPS responsibility (Killing Eonar's Gifts, splitting DPS on Elementals right, not blowing up the raid with overzealous damage on Lashers, etc).
kanst
Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

The reason I hate freya really depends on your dps. Are they good at listening to instructions. Our dps is not, they put out very very good numbers and do great in fights with hard enrages but you say on vent "stop dps on snaplasher" and you watch as frostfire bolts and lightning bolts still go flying at him. Also they seem to lack the ability to stop aoeing the lashers at 20%. Hence me hating freya. All of the fights have a gimmick and will be easier or harder depending on your raid:

Mim - You need very good healing both AOE and single target
Freya - DPS needs to be fast and under control and know how to switch to the correct target
Hodir - Dont stand in shit
Thorim - Tanks have to be good at controlling adds and taunting

My personal difficulty order would be Hodir, Thorim, Mim, Freya but your personal rankings may differ based off your guilds strengths. Thats also the order I would do hard modes on 10 man, Freya vs Mim is kinda debatable there, they both kinda suck
JRichland
Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

In my guild, we went this way:

Flame Leviathan
XT
Razorscale
Kologarn
Auriaya
Ignis
Hodir
Iron Council

Ignis is a little easier than he seems.

It's a two-tank fight, with three healers and five dps.

I tank him in a six-point circle around the center box on the seam that connects the two pools of water.

______o o o
(water)=====(water)
______o o o

Starting from the top right in the diagram and moving counter-clockwise. Ignis always faces away from the raid and as soon as he starts scorching the ground, move him to the next point. One healer is assigned to me (MT) full-time.

My off-tank picks up adds as he can, but I taunt every add I can and I usually stun them with the Hammer of Justice as Ignis is scorching to give my OT a hand. We have a destro lock and/or a shadow priest who pops the adds. We have a healer assigned full-time to him.

We have a healer dedicated to the slag pot and raid and ALL the dps and healers spend the whole fight standing in the center box, safe from Ignis' scorch. As such, the majority of the raid healing comes after the spell-lock move.

If you can down him once, you'll never have a hard time again.

Hodir is also pretty easy. We do it with one tank, three healers and six dps. I wear a a full FR set to get FR capped and all the other raidmembers do as well. As long as you have projected textures on, you shouldn't have any trouble.
Threatco
Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

Ulduar 25.

FL
Razorscale
XT
Ignis
IC
Kolo
Auiaya
Hodir
Freya
Thorim
Mim
General
Yogg
Xfighter
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

For 10 my guild's gone:
FL
XT
Kolo
Council
Ary
Razor
Ignis
Hodir
Thorim
Freya
Mimiron
General <(Only got to him at the end of our raid night on sunday, so this week we'll give him some solid attempts and probably get to yogg)
Spectrum
Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

I think we got Ignis after Auriaya, but before IC or any keepers. We have one DPS (elemental shaman) dedicated to constructs along with our OT. They do a great job. With two healers, myself doing a four-point rotation, and our DPS doing what they do best, we haven't had problems for a while.

Keepers in order of difficulty for us:

Freya was definitely the easiest of the Keepers for us, though the trash is annoying and long. We often wipe 1-2 times on the trash just from picking up extra packs, where I can't remember the last time we wiped on Freya herself. If you can coordinate she's an easy fight.

Thorim took one miserable night of attempts where our arena team just got slaughtered. We came back a few days later and only wiped once, and that in phase 1 due to some stupidness. He really isn't that hard. We sometimes forget to switch after unbalancing strike even.

Hodir is all about healing, avoiding environmental damage and getting the DPS those buffs. We still wipe sometimes because a person gets frozen or our tank gets pounded during frozen blows.

Mimiron we're still working on...
dmok
Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

Our guild went:

FL
Razorscale
XT-002
Ignis
Iron Council
Kologarn
Auriaya
Hodir
Thorim
Freya
Mimiron (to 2%, damn you mage to wanted to keep killing the feet!)
-------- (end of current progression)
General
Yogg


Since we are pushing the back-end for progression right now and only raid 2 nights a week, Ignis and Iron Council often go un-attempted in any given week.
Isetnefret
Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

My guild really wants to ignore Ignis and focus on Keepers.

I'd like to kill him, but I'll let majority rule (it is technically my call).
Exolaeth
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

Uld10

FL
Razorscale
Ignis
XT
Kologarn
Hodir
Freya
Mimiron
Vezax
IC - Hard mode
Yogg

=)

Same for 25
Dalithe
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

[quote="Isetnefret"] My guild really wants to ignore Ignis and focus on Keepers.

I'd like to kill him, but I'll let majority rule (it is technically my call). [/quote]

I would want him simply for the trinket. All in all though...a good guild focused on progression in 10 man would take about 20 min to get in, kill trash then ignis, collect loot and keep going. Only takes 4 min to kill him and only his trash is annoying and they dropped it slightly.

I give up on quoting....
Isetnefret
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

Just curious....what kind of DPS is the MINIMUM (avg for all 6-7 dps) for the 10 man Hodir fight? (not hard mode)
Xfighter
Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: [10] Ulduar order or progression?

According to my calculations, which have a slight chance to be wrong, I found that with 7 DPS minimum would be 2400-ish, and with 6 it'd be 2800-ish. That of course doesn't factor in tank or NPC DPS, nor the lost DPS on breaking out flash freezes. Those numbers seem a bit off, but it might be true. That'd be getting him down right as he enrages.