Skip to content
Maintankadin

Why not wear two Stam trinkets?

Ashmadai
Sun May 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Why not wear two Stam trinkets?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Malfurion&n=Ashmadai

There's my armory. I always see people say don't wear two stam trinkets, and I'm wondering why. I'm in a 5/6 SSC 3/4 TK guild, and we're about to start Hyjal. Unbuffed now I am right at 16k HP, with about 53% pure avoidance. My dodge is at almost 24% unbuffed. Fully raid buffed I end up at almost 21k HP and 55% avoidance, 26% of it as dodge.

Should I go with Moroes trinket or the Guardian's Alchemist Stone(which I'm going to craft) over the DMC:V? I'm going to lose like 600 HP for about 3% avoidance.

I suppose for boss tanking that extra avoidance would be nice, but I also don't want to go too high on avoidance where my threat sucks due to not enough Holy Shield.
_________________
moduspwnens
Sun May 25, 2008 7:49 pm
Eh, a lot of people here seem to think it's a bad idea, but I use dual stam trinkets when I tank. I like them.

EDIT: I use the Commendation and DMC:V. So, they are definitely stam trinkets, but also have other benefits. I'm not sure I'd use DMC:Madness, since it's pretty much ONLY stamina.
_________________
Stormreaver US
Jadlak
Sun May 25, 2008 7:54 pm
I wear the commendation & the dark moon card that does holy dmg. The rest of my gear covers all the other stats, so yeah... I'm quite happy in my dual stam trinks.
Gideon
Sun May 25, 2008 7:56 pm
Most of the time I run with either a threat setup, a pure EH setup or a combination of the two. My EH setup uses two stam trinkets (commendation and vengeance).

I do own avoidance trinkets but I tend to use them rarely. The pocketwatch is for when I think I need an active panic button. The scarab is for resistance sets. The figurine is for AOE lulz.

To be fair, I am a little trinket crazy. There are about 30 in my bank and they go all the way back to the nifty stopwatch. I think the only one I've vendored has been the carrot on a stick and only because it has been replaced by riding crops and my crusader aura.

Edit: Ulushnar had this great idea for "modular gearing" which is something I've been trying to do for a while. You carry less gear by mostly wearing the same armour except for a few specific slots that you swap out for different tasks. Swapping out trinkets is one of the simplest ways to retool a set from EH to TPS etc. Other good slots I've found are rings and necklaces but trinkets are best because there is a lot of variety and they tend to be very "pure" in their itemisation.
_________________
Mavrix
Sun May 25, 2008 7:59 pm

well

Like everything else with gearing choices, it is situational. Gear for what you need. If you need stam, trinket slots are a great place to get a ton of it from a single item slot. If you need avoidance or threat or mitigation, same thing. Figure out what it is that you need and what works for you individually.
I dual stam trinket on several bosses/occasions myself like the previous posts indicated. It's situational.
_________________
Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
Eanin
Sun May 25, 2008 8:05 pm
It depends on what I'm fighting. My "day-to-day" set has dual stamina trinkets, though, and I still have enough avoidance to use the Righteousness libram. My AoE set has the Gnomeregan trinket and the Tome of Righteous Fury.
_________________
ldeboer
Sun May 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Yep same answer as other thread

I wear 2 stam trinkets when tanking heroics because I feel I am never going to see the return on a probably less than a few percent avoidance the fight just simply isnt going to last that long.

The second part of that is in heroic I am always multi tanking and undoubtably I will move or get feared etc and get critted in the back the avoidance will count for little the extra HP may just save my life.

Boss fights are far more controlled and long encounters you have strats and multiple healers there a few extra HP means little and avoidance wins out.
_________________
Elsie
Sun May 25, 2008 8:47 pm
Because oh shit buttons are better, and you dont need the 500 hp.
Mazater
Sun May 25, 2008 10:34 pm
I get the stamina I need from the rest of my gear (over 16k hp without any trinkets) but I lack pure avoidance, hence why I'm using Moroes' pocketwatch.

Besides, moroes' trinket is like Warrior's last stand with (5?)minutes cooldown, it's a great OHSHAIT button.
_________________

My armory
Seloei
Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 pm
I wear a Commendation + moroes watch almost all the time, the passive avoidance and on use effect have saved my arse quite a few times when AD + commendation kicks in.
My reasoning is, that better to have atleast one button which can "maybe" save you life than have none at all. The extra health from DMC:V ends up at almost +1k health which is quite huge, but it all matters on what you are up against.
Melee boss -> moroes, melee/spell -> moroes or 2 stam trinkets (depends on melee/spell ratio), mostly spell boss -> 2 stam trinkets.

oh errr moroes is on 2 minute cooldown, with the combination of Commendation kicking in and that, you are guaranteed an extra +30% pure avoidance, which is usually enough to dodge atleast 3 hits in a row after you hit them
_________________
Dazhbog
Sun May 25, 2008 11:53 pm
Situational, but for most major boss fights I pack a stamina trinket (Commendation) and an avoidance trinket (pocketwatch). Scarab of Displacement is used in place of the pocketwatch if I need the defense (resists or high high threat gear).

Why? A recent Tankspot article articulates it particularly well; it talks about (among other things) reaction time, which is the average time you have when you are one hit from death until that next hit connects. Popping an avoidance trinket massively increases the amount of time the rest of the raid has to get things back under control in a bad situation, and so makes them invaluable in an emergency situation. Stamina, on the other hand, means you can soak en extra X damage, which isn't all that useful in said situations.

Where I DO use dual stam trinkets is any fight where avoidance means diddly, i.e. high magic fights like Kael at the end of MgT, where you CAN'T avoid the hits, so packing on that little bit of extra stam is helpful.
_________________
ldeboer
Mon May 26, 2008 1:14 am

Wow agreement

Okay there is a first everyone is basically all in agreement so that should probably get a sticky.
_________________
ricmrune
Mon May 26, 2008 5:56 am
For SWP, I gear more towards avoidance and threat. So it's Commendation/Icon or Commendation/SMI.

I used double DMC trinkets before prior to SWP coming out. While progressing into BT I went all out stamina. Didn't have any probs with the exception of Illidan. The threat/dps from DMC:V is really small compared to the rest of your abilities to the point of insignificance.

I prefer Icon or a click trinket for threat so I can time it with wings.
_________________
RICMRUNE - Paladin (Windrunner)

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&n=Ricmrune