Skip to content
Maintankadin

90stam vs 3% avoidance

KiwiBacon
Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 pm

90stam vs 3% avoidance

hi ive got an issue with selecting trinkets for my hard set. some help would b appreicated do i go with 2 stam trinkets giving me 90stam or do i go with 3% pure avoidance
_________________
Levantine
Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 pm
This is a pointless question that has no answer without more information.

Even then we're likely to tell you either that two stamina trinkets are never the answer (which is true) or that the answer will change depending on what you're doing (which is also true). Either way, the question as you have worded it is poor, and will not get any answer more helpful than mine without you telling us more......

Actually, we'll probably go tell you to ask it in the sticky anyway.
_________________
Caelestrasz
Rinforza - 70 Holy Priest
Levie - 32 Ret Paladin

Morokute nigai kajitsu no you ni
Hito no kokoro wo miryou suru no
fuzzygeek
Sun May 25, 2008 8:16 am
I don't know that it's a useless question, but it sure does get asked a lot. I found myself debating for ten minutes over 200 hp vs .5% avoidance when I was tinkering with Itemrack sets.

Rule of thumb: two stam trinkets are almost never the answer (I wear two stam trinkets on, say, h.MgT Kael).

Rule of thumb: avoidance is almost always better than a small amount of hps, esp if the hp gain is smaller than the amount of a single hit you're going to take.
_________________
Warheit
Sun May 25, 2008 2:55 pm
only time i wear 2 sta trinkets is in aoe/trash tanking set, where i use commendation of kael'thas + Figurine - Crimson serpent. but those are kinda excluse trinkets since commendation becomes a nice avoidance trinket if iget dipped low enough and figurine doubles as a threat trinket.

otherwise i usually roll with moroes + commendation
_________________
Seloei
Sun May 25, 2008 3:23 pm
As lev said, without any real info it isn't possible to tell you what is the best option. All gear is situational. High spelldamage fight you will get a bigger kick out of the higher health pool. Melee hitters you will have a better time with avoidance. Lots of trash/low hitters you will get a better result with +block or +threat.

There is no single "X of stam is better than Y of avoidance" always correct answer. But if i was you, i'd go with 1 stam + 1 avoidance trinket as your "main set" and swap in either a second avoidance or secnd stamina one as you see fit.
_________________
TheHonage
Sun May 25, 2008 6:23 pm
I wear two stam trinkets. And I'm quite happy with it. My HP has seen a very nice increase becasue of this, and I still have the "On use" of a Moroes' or the equivilent. Sure' it's not at my choosing, but hey.

Survivability Gear:

Aldor SSO Neck Proc

Mongoose Proc

Commendation Proc

My passive dodge is sistting at about 21ish in my gear. If all this procs its almost 19% dodge. Preety sweet. I realy don't feel the need to equip Moroes' atm.
mangos
Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm
I think it depends on a few things: how long is the fight, how hard your target hits in melee. how is your healer's skill/gear

say you are doing heroics, boss hits for 3k after armor every 2sec. fight lasts 1mins. so you get hit 30 times, 3% pure avoidance means about 2.7k less damage, while 90 stam only provide 900hp initial

however, avoidance is for melee only so it has no value against spell damage. Also higher hp ease the stress of healer and improve healer's healing efficiency.

I'd say try both in a save run on similar fight and see which goes better.
ldeboer
Sun May 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Yep I am with mangos

I wear 2 stam trinkets when tanking heroics because I feel I am never going to see the return on 3% avoidance the fight just simply isnt going to last that long.

The second part of that is in heroic I am always multi tanking and undoubtably I will move or get feared etc and get critted in the back the avoidance will count for little the extra HP may just save my life.

Boss fights are far more controlled and long encounters you have strats and multiple healers there a few extra HP means little and avoidance wins out.
_________________
Gideon
Sun May 25, 2008 8:17 pm
I switch around depending on what recount says I'm dying to.

Although there have been situations where other tanks have suggested avoidance and I've instead gone all out stam in order to get more out of ardent defender.
_________________