Hi all,
It has been brought to my attention, that while this community often helps end game players and those who are in the process of gearing up for end game raiding, we don't actually have any sort of guide for leveling as a Tankadin pre outland.
This is obviously something that is important as I strongly feel we need to offer help to all aspiring Tankadins out there, irrespective of level. So with hopefully the help of a few more computer literate friends, [as I have the computer skills of a newly born starfish], I have decided to have a go at writing a guide for levelling as a Tankadin. Now please bear with me and sit back and relax while I attempt to take you through the swirling yellow mists generated by countless consecrations since the beginning of time. I will initially be writing this from an alliance point of view, I have never leveled a horde Tankadin, so any information anyone can give me about leveling a horde Tankadin will be gratefully accepted and incorperated into this guide.
important note to yourself - never eat yellow ground of any type, no matter who tells you to!
I intend to split the guide up into parts, each part to cover 10 levels or so, from level 10 through to level 58 when the other guides on this forum can take over. The reason I am starting at level 10 is pretty simple, if you cannot make it to level 10 without a guide, I hate to break it to you, but WoW possibly isnt the game for you
Under each part I will list the following for your consideration,
1/ Talent Points - where to spend them wisely
2/ Gear - Nice gear and where to get it
3/ Enchants - What to use on what gear
4/ Grinding spots - where they can be found
5/ Anything else I may have forgotten [I am old after all, my memory isn't great
I also intend to write a small piece on profession choices, as they can really help but obviously have different priorities dependant on if you have a horde of characters, or if you are just starting your 1st character. This to me seems a sensible place to start, so on with the show!
Professions
Professions are a funny thing, if you already have existing high level characters, its entirely probable that they will lend their support to your budding Tankadin. The chances are if this is the case, that you already understand what professions are good for what classes, so I will will skip over that part and move onto what professions may aid you if the Tankadin is your first character. Please bear in mind that this advice may change as the game expands, but is pretty much current as of the 22nd May 2008. Given that the Tankadin is your 1st character, and that your steed at level 40 is going to be free, the thing to consider is this,
Do I want to make money from my profession choices so I can afford better equipment or do I want to make an informed choice now about professions that I will keep on this character for their own personal benefit? For example shall I take skinning and mining and relearn new professions at a higher level or shall I pick my professions now and stick with them?
Please also note, there is nothing wrong with picking professions based on what you would like your character to have, but I am for the purposes of this guide, going to give advice on what I feel benefits a Tankadin the most
The Money Gaining Professions - Gathering
Mining - even copper bar/ore sells for a reasonable amount on the AH irrespective of server, but does require you having find ore up on your minimap to be most effective.
Skinning - again a solid money earner that doesn't require you to have anything enabled on your minimap.
Herbalism - Not as profitable at low levels as mining or skinning, but once you reach 200 ish Herbalism skill, expect to start making money on a par with mining and skinning on the AH. Does require you having find herbs up on your minimap to be most effective.
Professions for Personal Use [can also make money]
Leatherworking - Not really the best option, the equipment you can make, while being profitable on the AH, won't help your character progression due to it being one grade under the armor you can wear, leather vs mail levels 1-40, Mail vs Plate levels 40-70. Really needs to be used with Skinning otherwise can get very expensive. Offers a low to moderate income at level 70 from BoE patterns and drums.
Blacksmithing - Very useful to ensure you always have up to date armor and weapons but sadly only really offers a few recipes for use as a Tankadin at level 70 so its long term use is questionable. Can be very expensive if not used with mining. Can make a moderate amount of gold selling items used for quest hand ins and the several blue items available at low levels. Offers a low to moderate income at level 70 dependant on pattern drops.
Jewelcrafting - Offers lots of trinkets and rings that will help out immensely with leveling. Again must be taken with mining for maximum effect. Can make a good amount of money on the AH but beware as mats at level 250 ish plus can get expensive from the AH. Offers a moderate income at level 70. Patterns are expensive at high levels!!!
Tailoring - Best used on cloth wearing classes, sure bags are great, but compared to what other professions offer to a Tankadin probably not the best choice. Doesn't need a sister profession to be most effective though. Can offer moderate income at level 70 if you get a rare pattern.
Enchanting - Very expensive to level, but the enchants available offer huge bonuses even at low levels. Has the potential to make a small amount of money from low levels. Doesn't need a sister profession. Offers good income at level 70.
Alchemy - Potions make money and save repair bills. I leveled my character with alchemy and made a lot of money on the way to 70. However this can be server dependant. Really needs to be taken with Herbalism for maximum effect. Offers good income at level 70 due to masteries but this may be server dependant.
Engineering - Bombs are Great! A fun profession, can make a small amount of gold due to quest hand ins, has some nice gadgets at low level. Should be taken with mining for maximum efficiency. Offers good items at level 70 but minimum income as most of the items are BoP.
So let us consider what to take, if you are looking just to make money, I don't think you can go far wrong with either skinning/mining or skinning/herbalism.
If you want something to benefit your character equipment wise, I personally would suggest Alchemy/Herbalism or Mining/Jewelcrafting or Mining/Engineering or Enchanting/either Mining/Skinning/Herbalism to help pay for the mats
It is down to personal choice, all of the above in bold are good choices in my opinion. Ok lets get onto levels 10 - 20, your professions ideally will be chosen by now as its easiest to level them up as you level. Please note, if this is your first character you REALLY want to ensure you level Fishing, Cooking and First Aid as you level, if you don't it becomes a chore to do so at a later date!
Levels 10 - 20
Talents - At level 10 you recieve your first talent point, knowing where to put it is a huge decision that even the best players get wrong, so don't worry if it doesn't go according to plan, its my aim to help you assign each point correctly. Our aim is to get the 41 point talent in the protection tree as quick as we can, some will disagree with this, but I strongly feel that our ranged pull is something that makes it a lot easier for a new Tankadin to be effective.
First 5 Talent Points should be put into Redoubt. This will greatly increase your blocking when fighting multiple mobs, as more things hitting you give you a better chance of it activating.
Second 5 Talent Points should be put in Toughness, this will increase the amount of armor you have, and it scales so as you get better armor your bonus armor also increases. More armor means less damage, this at levels 1-58 is a good thing. Do NOT get confused and think Improved Devotion Aura will help here, you simply will not have the Talent Points spare to get this Talent.
[under advisement regarding talent points]
Gear for levels 10-20
Anything with Stamina on is a huge bonus, do not expect to find items with defensive stats on them, ie +def rating, dodge, parry or block, if you do its a bonus! I will link World Drop items, Instance Drops and Quest Rewards that are useful.
Armor
Feet -Silver Linked Footguards World Drop.
Waist - Stormbringer Belt World Drop.
Hands - Thorbia's Gauntlets World Drop.
[to be continued]
_________________
'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.
http://armorylite.com/eu/Aerie+Peak/Barathorn




