Skip to content
Maintankadin

I saw a prot paladin with Mongoose on Tempest of Chaos

Nottebella
Wed May 21, 2008 8:48 am

I saw a prot paladin with Mongoose on Tempest of Chaos

Both my warlock and paladin cried.
_________________
Nottebella - 70 - Emerald Dream
Nobot
Wed May 21, 2008 9:00 am
I've seen it, too. He also happened to be wearing 8/8 T6, so he probably didn't need the +DMG as much as he needs the avoidance from the mongoose enchant.
dlantz
Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am
He also might have 2 of them, one damage and one mongoose. /shrug
Lookit
Wed May 21, 2008 9:18 am
Sounds like his Brutallus weapon.
_________________
Ashmadai
Wed May 21, 2008 10:02 am
There's a prot pally on my server who's widely regarded as one of the top Pally MTs on the server, and I know he uses Mongoose on his Hammer of Judgement all the time. I found it kind of odd because I was thinking spell damage is a no brainer at all times on your spell damage weapon.

Then again, if you're a guild's MT and you have enough dmg on the rest of your T6 to not threat cap the DPS, I guess the avoidance can't hurt.
_________________
Worldie
Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 am
I got mongoose on my Cudgel of Consecration, and i'd enchant Mongoose on tempest of Chaos if i had it.

Once you pass a certain value of spelldamage you don't need anymore.
_________________

moduspwnens
Wed May 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Wouldn't 20 Agility be a better enchantment anyway? It grants a steady ~0.88% dodge with Kings, and Mongoose grants around ~5.28% dodge over what (assuming 1.4% PPM and 15 second duration) appears to be around 35% of the time.

0.35 x 5.28 = 1.848% average dodge
0.35 x 264 = 92.4 average armor

Alright, maybe Mongoose would be better, but I don't know. I'd probably just go with spell damage anyway, and consider a different option if I truly wanted to sacrifice some threat for avoidance.

EDIT: Another thought, from a purely itemlevel standpoint, it would take just barely under 46.2 agility in order to get the average amount of dodge and armor offered by Mongoose. Since one point of agility is worth 1 ilevel of stats and one point of spell damage is worth 0.855:

Mongoose is (on average) worth 46.2 ilevel of stats (with Kings), while Major Spellpower is worth only 34.2, and 20 Agility is 22 (Kings included).
_________________
Stormreaver US
Dorvan
Wed May 21, 2008 2:37 pm
I believe that Mongoose is 1 ppm, but has an effective PPM that's higher for most classes because instant attacks can trigger procs. Prot Pallies have no instant attacks though, so Mongoose remains a flat 1 PPM, or the equivalent of 30 agility averaged over time....putting is just about identical to 40 +dam if ilevel is our measurement. I question whether ilevel is the right thin to be going off of though....40 damage is right around the amount of +dam on a lot of T6-level armor....I'd say if you're looking to drop threat for mitigation, just see if changing from a threat piece to a mitigation piece can gain you a better benefit than 30 agility and make your decision accordingly.

As I said in the other thread though, don't fool yourself into thinking Mongoose is a threat option because the threat theoretically scales....the scaling is so poor that the threat benefit might as well not exist, it's about the equivalent of Strength for block value. Mongoose is an avoidance enchant, +dam is a threat enchant, plain and simple. Update: when you factor in the lost HS damage from the dodge, Mongoose is a (very tiny) net threat loss.
_________________