Skip to content
Maintankadin

What Gem...? D:

Farli
Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:37 pm

What Gem...? D:

Today, with my finances bolstered by the new dailies and the exceedingly cheap price of primal nethers on the AH, I bit the bullet and gathered the remaining mats I needed to craft for Kolette what is by far the UGLIEST tanking helm in the game, the Oathkeeper's Helm. (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23536)

(Or, as one friend described it: "What the hell. That's not a helm, that's a watermelon with a ponytail!!").

I'm currently using a Felsteel Helm (which serves me very very well) gemmed with two Solid Stars and a Glowing Nightseye to bolster my spell damage, plus the CoT head enchant.

I'm not a raider, and am prepping for heroics. I'm hoping to use this for most 5-mans and to improve my mana pool and spell damage. Could I get some opinions on how to gem this? All Solid Stars, or should I mix and match?
_________________
Kolette @ Burning Blade (US) - Blood Elf Tankadin

Alfimi @ Uther (US) - Draenei Holy Paladin
Levantine
Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:39 pm
The socket bonus is kinda shit, so I'd say Solid Stars... This is of course, depending on what stats you need, but for Heroics, stam is always nice.
_________________

Argali
Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:57 pm
Just go for whatever you need. Even if stm is the most efficient way to get effective health, you can always gem your new helm with whatever stats you wanted. Stm isn't everything. You could put a Glinting Noble Topazes in the red and yellow slot for more avoidance and threat.
_________________
Tunos
Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:34 pm
Aren't glinting noble topazes 4 agility and hit rating? I'd stay away from those. Agility does very little for paladins. If you really want extra threat you'd be better off with +8 hit rating, thick dawnstones. If you want avoidance go with a +def or a +8 dodge subtle ruby. Don't try to combine the two stats into one gem; the results are lackluster.
Argali
Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:59 pm
You're forgetting that agility gives your armour, dodge and +crit.
_________________
NarfJones
Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:18 pm
But not at a decent rate. The armor, dodge, and crit don't really add up to much and are better replaced with +defense or +Stam.
_________________
Tanking is was made to do
Argali
Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:02 pm
Let's see. 3 sockets. 1 red, blue and yellow.

Put 12stm in blue.

For the red and yellow you could put:

a) 8 hit and 8 dodge
b) 8 hit and 8 defense
c) 8 hit and 8 agl

a) gives you 0.42% dodge
b) gives you 0.48% avoidance and 0.04% crit reduction.
c) gives you 0.32% dodge, 0.32% crit rating and 16 armour.

Pick one combo which fits what you desire from you gear. I think it is unreasonable to say using this or that is better without looking at your gear as a whole and what stats you're looking for.

Keep in mind that my first post in this thread was in response to levantine commenting that the socket bonus was useless, and recommended putting 12 stm gems in all the slots.
_________________
Farli
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 am
Thanks for the comment, guys. :) My current armory is in my sig, and as you can see, I am currently going All Stam. I am, however, considering switching in some other gems (helped by the fact solid star prices are dropping crazy-like on my server for some reason..)

I was surprised by the suggestion of a +hit gem; how would that benefit me threat-wise? By increasing white damage..? (Yes, I know, such a noob ;_; I'm sorry~!)
_________________
Kolette @ Burning Blade (US) - Blood Elf Tankadin

Alfimi @ Uther (US) - Draenei Holy Paladin
Elthar
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:41 am
+Hit will help with white damage, SoR, AS, Taunt, HoJ (anything I've missed?
_________________
Lightstrider
Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:35 am
I never thought hit was important at all. Sure it helps white damage but really white damage isn't where paladin threat comes from. I would say hit is only important if your alliance and plan to use seal of Vengeance. Otherwise gem with the agil stam gems. Shifting star of elune I beleive is what it's called. Hit rating isn't so important for a paladin in heroics.
_________________
I understand how scissors can beat paper, and I get how a rock can beat scissors, but there's no way paper can beat rock. Is paper supposed to magically wrap around rock and leave it immoblile? Why can’t paper do this to people?