Skip to content
Maintankadin

How much Spell DMG is enough?

Haylo
Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 pm

How much Spell DMG is enough?

So, as I've been upping my gear and getting close to uncrushable I've found my spell damage sinking. Where is the ideal baseline amount of spell damage I should be looking for?
_________________
Refute
Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:55 pm
It depends on your progression level and whether your DPS is geared according to your content level or if they are over geared.

What level of content are you at?
Haylo
Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:05 pm
i'm offtanking soon to be main tanking Kara. I also MT heroics. (btw, my armory profile, as linked by my sig, is off, it doesn't ahve my continuum blade or SoID on it atm.)
_________________
SSJPred
Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 pm
i've been told that roughly 225 base is good for MT kara..
Sithy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:16 pm
If your running with Kara/Gruul geared DPS then yeah, ~200 SD with wizard oil should get you through with little issue (remember exorcism!).

I had the joy of starting to run kara with a group alts / tier 5 mains... the fun that was trying to tank with 200 SD. I run 469 SD on Gruul and Mags and they still make me work for my threat.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Doktah
Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:20 pm
shoot for 400+ if you can
_________________
Dorvan
Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:36 pm
Enough is however much it takes for your DPS not to have to hold back. If you're unsure as to whether your DPS is holding back, ask them.
_________________
SSJPred
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 pm
I like to run kara with 200 and i carry flask of blinding light and superior wizard oil with me.. makes everything run perfect putting me around 300 spell damage.
luminum
Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:46 pm
ive been concerned that im not running enough, at 215 unbuffed. im tempted to ditch the healing mace im currently using (season2 with +81 lol, works out at around 160 SD overall) and going for the gavel from lower city with +40 on it.

the main reason im holding back is the new mace from heroic MT, i dont wanna waste my cash on enchants on stuff i might only use for a few weeks.

i am aiming for around 350 for tanking in ZA and all heroics with geared people.
Kitria
Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:33 pm
Typically, Continuum Blade (or similar) + 40 SD enchat + wiz oil is enough to hold aggro up through kara, but as mentioned before it depends heavily on your dps. If I don't stack 400+ now my guild's dps owns my threat.
_________________
Hiroko
Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:20 am
Similar question at a higher level... Hyjal Summit waves

The block gear I'm using for this at the moment (4th visit there tonight) is ~700 BV and 385 spelldamage, plus wizard oil.

I currently use a flask of fortification and stamina food and have died on the waves a couple of times, usually when I overaggro too many abominations.

Would you recommend Flask of Blinding Light and spelldamage food instead? I occasionally lose aggro on a mob to warlock's SoC spam, but a taunt and exorcism brings them back.

What sort of spelldamage did you guys use when you started MH?
_________________
Lakirby
Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:22 am
My guild is probably the highest raid DPS of any on our progression level on our server, so this is a slightly unusual case - I feel I need 500 raid-buffed at our progression level - over 600 is what I use in my "balanced threat set" - and in T5 content I didn't feel comfortable with my threat generation until I was pushing 350-400 unbuffed.
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 4/5 MH 3/9 BT
Snake-Aes
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:57 am
I'm on the same boat of Kirby, I needed 400+ buffed before I even started feeling like they weren't much gimped(poor fury warriors with windfury)

Spell damage is your threat stat. do you need threat? Ask your dpsers if they have to hold back much(and if they are complaining about threat without salv, salv them. It's a huge buff no matter what others may say...except for maybe hunters). Kara level dpsers can be "outthreatened" with about 200 spell damage easy.
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin sounds deep)