Skip to content
Maintankadin

Starter Gear Set - How Much Stamina?

Refute
Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 am

Starter Gear Set - How Much Stamina?

Hello All,

I have a question regarding a tankadin who is about to go into Kara. Currently, this is the gear I am working on completing as my "starter set." My goal is to be uncrushable, uncrittable, and have as much effective health as possible.

According to the Sandbox, I should have these stats with this set:
HP: 11.6k unbuffed
Armor: 11.7k Armor
Def: 518
Avoidance: 67.35%
Spell Damange: 201 (121 base, +40 enchant, +40 wiz oil)

Here is a link to all of the gear with the enchants/gems I'm after:
http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/42690

My concern - or question rather - is should I be lowering some of my defense, if possible, in favor of more stamina? I know that Defense beyond 490, while useful, starts to be effected by diminishing returns and I'm not sure how much more block/dodge/parry I could get at this level.

I recognize that this should have me more than adequate for the first part of Kara, but my goal is to be geared enough so that we can continue to progress through kara (Id imagine we will go quickly as that we are all rerolls and whatnot) without me, the maintank, being hung up on gear because I get back luck with drops.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions of how to tweak this gear setup it'd be appreciated.
Eanin
Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:47 am
That's pretty much the ideal setup for entering Karazhan. The only slight suggestion I'd make is to put either a Shifting Nightseye or the new +4 dodge/+6 stamina gem in the gloves (can't remember its name), which will give you another 6 stamina. It'll still leave you uncrushable with Kings, which is all that matters. If you want to be uncrushable without Kings with this gem, switch your cloak enchant to the new +12 defense one (Steelweave).

The reality is, you can't tank anything past Curator without getting some Kara and badge gear first. That's fine. That's why you run Kara Smile. Once you start running it consistently, start picking up the badge rewards and you'll start chewing through Prince.
_________________
Refute
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 am
Hmm, you really think that this gear set will only suffice up to Curator? I'm aware that it isn't an epic set, but having nearly 12k unbuffed HP and Armor, being uncrittable and uncrushable... I thought it could potentially carry me farther than that?

Am I wrong?
Sithy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:17 am
With a good set of healers and strong DPS you could go all the way, make sure to have consumables, food, oil, etc with you and you'll be fine.

Only fight I'd worry about would be Nightbane, he hits kinda hard.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Eanin
Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:45 am
Well, the only fights really tankable past Curator are Nightbane, Illhoof and Prince (Netherspite, sorta, but not really). I'd have serious doubts about this set against Nightbane and Prince. Illhoof, maybe, if you're not also tanking Kil'rek.
_________________
Moses
Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 pm
I think the gear looks fine for gara as a boss set. Remember you don't have to worry about crushing on trash though, only 73 mobs can crush you and trash in kara is only 71-72. The trash does hit VERY hard though. The ghosts on the way up to curator esp so it wouldn't hurt to trade your block rating pieces for more sta/dodge for the trash.

Even so that's what my gear looked like starting kara and by mistake I tanked both attuneman and the horse at the same time.
_________________