Skip to content
Maintankadin

New Shields

Bahamutkotd
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 am

New Shields

Ok I know that some have wrote off the new shields, and i forgot the convo we had about it. What is the thoughts on em, I like the graphic ^^; sooo yeahh is there any situation that might be worthwhile to drop the SoID for one of the rep shields?
Shalindreal
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 am
can i see a link to said new shields, I havent' seen/heard nethign about this.
_________________
Andox
Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:43 pm
I´ve seen one shield, with SD on it. Imo the stats on it isn´t that good, it has spellhit and low stamina, low armor and low BV. I think there is several shields that is easier to get and that is better. Much easier to get the Gruul/ZA shield than a little gimped shield which requires you to grind exalted with new faction.
_________________
Sithy
Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:31 pm
Sunward Crest - Probably going to become my threat shield, I got lucky and got the ZA shield so it'll probably only see use on trash.
Dawnforged Defender - It was better than my crest of the sha'tar or my Triptych, on par with the SoID, perhaps even a little better if you don't lack defense.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Bahamutkotd
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:59 pm
ok first off to say, Easier to get ZA or Gruuls shield not so much. Easy is relitive because honestly drop rates on those shields are CRAP, let alone herding ppl though ZA to get that shield and get them to do the fights correctly, Isn't easy.

My guild is starting to work on being able to do said things but.... Random loot is not "easier" than a piece that you can get eventually. Because I KNOW i'm going to be running Mag terraice till i'm sick of it, and beyond so rep grind isn't an issue

Low stam? low armor? WTH, 2 less stam than SoID, and same armor, only lacking 15 bv from the item enhancement IDK what your talking about
rodos
Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm
I think either of these new shields would be great for me. Right now I use Ogri'la Aegis (for max stam/avoid) and Triptych Shield of the Ancients (for everything else except AoE grinding).

My guild has killed neither Gruul, nor Nightbane. We're working on Gruul, but nobody really seems interested in learning Nightbane since Kara is just a 1-night badge farm for us now.

Grinding the rest of the way to Exalted Sha'tar means lots of 5-man runs that don't fit my schedule (I can't dedicate an uninterrupted block of time to WoW during the week, and the weekend is guild Kara and Gruul runs). However, Gladiator's Shield Wall is still very tempting with more stam/arm/bv. I have to see how the new AV goes on my battlegroup - need about 9k more honor to buy it.
_________________
corc
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:44 pm
no one wants to learn nightbane?

man, he is so nerf'd from how he was months ago, he should be no problem now for almost any group, especially a group killing prince. His fears are so far apart now that if we don't have more than half alts in the group he has to fly off before the fear CD even happens. All it takes is not standing in scorched earth and dpsing as much as you can while keeping your mana up.

Also, a tip, have your melee kill skeles and the ranged stay on NB until he starts to come back... cuts even more time down by taking another 5% or so off him (no aggro while he is flying btw) which in turn cuts down his landed phase and prevents another fear Very Happy

he is an easy 2 badges now, might as well kill him.
_________________
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
atheas
Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:15 am
I use illidari rune shield for threat. probably going to keep that. As far as the other shield, i will get it for looks but otherwise i will keep KHH
Andox
Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:12 am
You don´t have to learn Nightbane, he is so easy. Just group up so the paladin can grab all the adds and you are done! You don´t even have to bubble/trinket out of the fear.
_________________
Rykis
Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:37 am
I'm gonna chime in here, because I'm struggling with the new shields too. Partially because my gear is really lacking... my guild is about shift into T4. Unfortunately, I think I logged w/ my pvp gear on again.

My current shield is the Ogrila shield
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32652

I have gem'd it w/ +4 agility +6 stamina for the stat bonus, and given it +18 stamina.

If I am calculating this correctly, I am getting:
2.24 towards uncrush (which I am)
36 stamina ~415 hp

The http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34675 looks like a clear upgrade:
2.28% towards uncrush
31 stamina (unenchanted)

The other 3 shield options (badges, sha'tar, dawnforged) all seem to trade stamina for avoidance/mitigation. Seeing I'm so close to uncrush right now (at about 102.7%) this worries me.

Here is what I think. I'm close to exalted with Sha'tar and gold isn't a problem anymore. I should pick up the Sha'tar shield and put +15 block rating enchant on it and gem it for stamina. Then once I get exalted with the Sunwell peeps I should pick up both shields and mix and match depending on my gear at that time.
_________________
Eanin
Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:50 am
I think any phrase with "..easier to get the Gruul shield" in it is bound to be false. These are nice upgrades for any paladin stuck with the Sha'tar or badge shield, and it's nice to see them in the game.

I'll probably pick up the spell damage one for my heroic and threat (read: Void Reaver) set. I have the Amani shield for true AoE tanking.
_________________
Sithy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:00 am
One other thing to keep in mind is that Sunward Crest has 1000 more ac over http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34675 which in all honesty is a huge amount of damage reduction. As long as you can lose the defense I can't see a reason to use any other shield, the 12 stam gained by using sha'tar is out weighed by the extra AC on sundward.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Sithy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:05 am
I would grind out exalted, for the shield and just avoid sha'tar until then. More uncrushability, more threat (SD) and more AC make it a winner. Sha'tar does have a little better raw avoidance from defense, but with 13 rating thats next to nothing in the end.

Hell when I got the sha'tar shield I tossed two Glowing Nightseye's in it for the extra 10 SD, lol.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest