Skip to content
Maintankadin

Resilience Vs Defense

phaqueue
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 am

Resilience Vs Defense

I was browsing the posts to see if I could find a post on this subject, and I didn't see anything. If the post is there... just link it for me please!

I was just wondering if anyone had done the stats on resilience vs defense when trying to hit defense cap (uncrittable).

Thanks in advance for the info!
Elsie
Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 am
resilience hits 5.6% faster, but defense contributes mitigation in the form of avoidance and block rating. Therefore, defense is prefered and resilience is livable.
Pillar
Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 am
is there a strait conversion? ie, how much resilience = defense when coverting it for uncrittable purposes?
_________________
Pillar
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:04 am
so 20 resilience = 30 defense, but with defense you also get the avoidance bonus, which is why it is preferred, if i am understanding correctly...
_________________
phaqueue
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:33 am
So, would resilience be better suited for 5-man and trash tanking, due to allowing you to become uncriittable easier, and also not getting to uncrushable so you can still get hit to help generate threat a bit better?

just wondering what I should be looking at for the big differences between Main Tank gear and 5-man/OT gear.

Also, is shield block value more wanted in 5-man tanking/trash tanking than in main-tanking raid bosses?

Just trying to get into the world of prot pally tanking - and I want to make sure I am doing it right.
Shalindreal
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 am
Gear yourself through tank gear, stick to defense/avoidance stats, if you need a piece here and there it's fine, but you shouldn't be aiming to build your prot set around resilience, it should be a secondary option, not primary goal.
_________________
phaqueue
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 am
Not looking at full sets - just looking at things like runed fungalcap, pvp main hand, etc as choices for some slots - and wondering if those will allow me to drop some defense in some slots (still have defense gems in some slots... want to replace them)

thanks for the info guys!!
Elsie
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:59 pm
resilience is only really good for resist sets.
xyzor
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:20 pm
It's also nice if you past uncrushable, but lose defense in a gear swap. Just by using the S2 Mace and Shield, I can drop below 480 defense (well below, actually) and still remain uncrittable.
_________________
PedroTacowalker
Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm
I noticed in the last patch (2.4) that resilience now reduces the effect of mana draining abilities. Not a huge deal but worth keeping in mind as a slight bonus when dealing with trash pulls that have that damn mana-drain ability and we sit there slapping the mob hoping that it will notice us.
_________________
ricmrune
Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:02 pm
Ideally, if you go for straight tanking purposes def will be more beneficial do to the extra avoidance that it contributes.

On the other hand, I wouldn't completely discount PVP gear. Sometimes certain upgrades don't drop or u get outbid, benched for kill, etc. So if you have spare honor/arena pts etc I see no harm in picking up some pieces.

You don't have to worry about having raid lvl dodge/parry block for 5 mans. Just get enough def/resil to be uncrittable from a lvl 72 mob.
_________________
RICMRUNE - Paladin (Windrunner)

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&n=Ricmrune