Skip to content
Maintankadin

130ish iLevel Shields & MGSW

Dynaheir
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 am

130ish iLevel Shields & MGSW

Reply to Ulushnar and Dorvan regarding the MGSW, but didn't wanna keep the discussion lost to an offtopic..

Dorvan
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 am
500 armor is a big deal.
_________________
Dynaheir
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:33 am
So it comes down to 500 armor Vs. 21 Def? And 500 armor wins? Shocked

ps. Does it win in both situations, AoE and Boss fights?
ps2. Sorry about the numbers, was looking at impenetrable >.<
_________________
NarfJones
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 am
The resilience is really what makes it a "no tanking stats other than armor and stamina" piece. That being said, I refuse to wear more than one piece of pvp gear at a time. So it's that or my gavel. And I like my gavel.
_________________
Tanking is was made to do
Ulushnar
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:50 am
The Stamina difference between the ALD and MGSW (3 assuming an SSoE) isn't significant, but the armor (factoring in the bonus from Toughness) is on boss fights. Plus the Resilience is really nice to have when the 2.4 Badge gear sends your defense south of uncrittable. It's a better effective health shield than the ALD hands down.

Whilst the avoidance and hit on the ALD are nice, it's still only a sidegrade. Of course, the best thing is that the MGSW is a guaranteed get, whilst the ALD requires it first to drop, and then for you to outbid the other tanks.

As for the BotAE, well I wear that now as my main sheild, because I think it looks cool! Very Happy

Frankly, with ZA/Badge gear, I'm currently overgeared for the content I'm in and that allows me to make irresponsible choices based on appearance. It also has the highest BV of any shield in the game currently. Oh, and it also has 3 more stamina than the ALD when gemmed with an SSoE, which is the same margin by which you were decrying the MGSW as a poorer shield.
_________________
Been Hacked - Lost mah Purplez

Zhalseran
Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 am
I've looked at the MGSW but I've never really considered it to my liking. Perhaps its purely because with a large amount of badge gear I am always dancing so close to the uncrit/uncrush line to squeeze out the stam/SD I want, and the lack of defense/avoidance has just turned me off. Personally I really want the ALD just because I think its an excellent shield and would fit my current gear setup well. The ZA should would be excellent as well, but I am less likely to get it, seeing as we don't run ZA often and when we do the Dragonhawk always gives us trouble.

That said once we get S2 gear for honor, I'll probably pick one up to mess around with anyways, as retarded as PvPing for PvE gear is.
_________________
http://zhalseran.blogspot.com/
Worldie
Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:28 am
armor is simply very underrated.

500 armor is a lot
_________________

Mavrix
Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:09 pm

yo

Armor is of enough importance that Elitist Jerks defensive tanking item breakdown rates the VGSW as second only to Bulwark of Azzinoth.
It would stand to reason then that MGSW (though a clear step down) is worthwhile in its place (tier 5 content, which has no shield drops whatsoever . . . /facepalm) compared to other options.

edit: reference would be http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t18771-protection_warrior/
subsection IX. c.
_________________
Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
Questioner
Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:23 pm
It's not like there is a choice between them, get 'em both! I use ZA shield for trash and MGSW for bosses (to be replaced with a T6 level shield when one drops).
_________________
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Elsie
Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:46 pm
I'm using the Illidari Runeshield simply because it has more armor than Bulwark of the Amani Empire.

The +Defense on Aldor Legacy Defender is nice, but for bosses your goal is burst damage protection more than avoidance. Higher armor and block value will save you from 3 consecutive hits more often than 2% avoidance will cause one of those 3 to miss.