Skip to content
Maintankadin

Slikk's > Pepe's ?

Demiblade
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Slikk's > Pepe's ?

This is what the MT gear progression thread states, and I'm starting have some mixed feelings about this based on what I'm tanking.

#1 Pepe's Shroud of Pacification
#2 Slikk's Cloak of Placation
#3 Phoenix-Wing Cloak

A little history about my gear, I bought Slikk on the day 2.3 went live, and enchanted it with +120 armor for some EH craze.

Then Al'ar dropped the Phoenix-Wing for me, I slapped a +12 dodge rating on it, to make it the best piece in game for slot in terms of uncrushability, which I found myself using more often because it also gives me the most defense rating I needed badly to wear some non-def ZA gear and remain above 490, and also make myself uncrushable easier without Libram of Repentence (so I can use Libram of Divine Purpose for more threat).

Finally, I got a Pepe's Shroud of Pacification, slapped +12 dodge on it, and I'm starting to feel a bit cheated where this piece actually belongs to. The hit rating on it is kinda wasted for a pally tank despite the high item level. It seems to give me lower effective health compared to badge cloak for hard hitting bosses, yet lower avoidance than Phoenix-wing! So geez, which one is THE best cloak in game for a prot pally?

So for those hardcore theorycrafters out there, my question is

346 Armor, +37 Stamina (Slikk's)
vs.
118 Armor, +45 Stamina (Pepe's) ?

How hard does my tanking target need to hit me to make Slikk's better than Pepe's in terms of EH? When does 228 armor become better 8 stamina? Maybe it's just the +armor enchant on my Slikk's but I can feel the difference between the two on hard hitting stuff is almost like having devo on or off. Let's ignore the avoidance and hit rating for this comparism. I'll also keep Phoenix-Wing out of the picture because I don't wanna start the EH vs. Avoidance debate again, and just wish to compare the "non-chance" mitigation by EH.

My armory is linked in sig. Any pointers on which cloak you guys found to be best performance on certain situations from experience would be nice too; AoE tanking, Boss tanking, etc.
_________________
Aalryn
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 pm
For effective health, yes slikk's is a better cloak.

Pepe's main appeal is the +hit raiting which adds to threat in addition to all the obvious advantages.
_________________
Official tankadin of <The Core> Tichondrius

Old FFXI signatures are FTW. Miss my hot mithra
artofray
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm
pepe's is ballin
Dorvan
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 pm
Personally I've never really seen the appeal on Pepe's. The EH difference is significant, plus Slikk's has more avoidance and some is in the form of defense to boot. Sure Pepe's has hit rating, but that's one of our worst threat stats....I'd rather get a little more +dam elsewhere. At any rate, the resto druids in my guild have been happy to take them over me Razz
_________________
Mortehl
Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:07 am
Going to assume some rounded numbers using my own gear set.

Chance to hit = 1.59% from pepe's
Assume 500 spell damage
SoR's spell damage coefficient: 16.56% (1.8 speed weapon)

1 Minute = 33 swings

Typical boss fight lasts about 10 minutes. 330 swings

5.247 swings * 147 = 771.309 * 1.9 = 1465.4871
5.247 swings * (19+129/2) = 388.278

Total = 1853.7651 more threat = 3.089 more threat per second added by the + hit

Not really a huge amount in the long run yes, but that extra + hit when starting a fight is where the real value is imo.

With defense being such an issue while gearing up (Post T5 and Pre T6 set gear), I personally rank slikks higher too.
_________________
I r can pull now plz?
Zzyzzx
Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 am
They changed our RD(taunt) to be hit(not spell hit) based in the patch notes, (circa 2.3?).
_________________
Ciandin
Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:12 am
I'm now trying to decide when to use Slikk's (+120armor) vs Phoenix Wing (+12agi). I'm thinking Slikk's for trash/aoe packs and Phoenix for boss fights.

Some know-it-all pally from the alt guild of one of our server's uber guilds started telling me the 120 armor enchant was a waste, and I should be stacking dodge for aoe tanking. I told him he had a cute opinion. Thoughts?
Ciandin
Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:32 am
So hindsight says I would have been well enough enchanting Slikk's with agi/dodge and letting the phoenix wing get de'd or go to an offspec. Although it is very nice to have options available; I didn't have time to play with the numbers and look at gear options available or regems. Perhaps tonight I'll have a bit of time before ZA
Questioner
Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am
I gotta be honest, the difference between them is situational. One day, Sillk's saved you because you had 34 health left, another Pepe's saved someone else because your taunt would have been resisted, still another you dodged because of pheonix wing, and lastly you blocked all their attacks because of Devilshark.


They are just too close to really say one is better than the other.
_________________
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Percival
Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:22 am
[quote="Aalryn"]