Skip to content
Maintankadin

maximizing threat without block rating

rangnos
Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:55 pm

maximizing threat without block rating

im looking to start tanking some bosses in SSC/TK, ive been told i have too much BR/BV and it makes me squishy. is there a way to maximize my threat without a high block rating? i was thinking of badge belt as an upgrade but was wondering on some other peices as well.

armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blood+Furnace&n=Ragnos

edit:spelling
Talaii
Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:23 am
I'd try and replace some of the pieces without spellpower first, so you don't really hurt your threat. Remember to use Wizard Oil on your weapon, and on lighter-hitting bosses (leotheras) blow a flask of blinding light for another large boost.

Getting either the ring off Aran of the Badge ring (only 25) to replace the block ring you're wearing is another few hundred armour and 20-odd stam, plus some more defense (which is some hard avoidance, better than the none you have on the ring at the moment).

Replacing those bracers with the badge ones (35 badges, also cheap) will give you some extra defense rating (avoidance) and expertise (a little threat, and a little reduction in the chance to get parry-hasted nasty boss attacks).

After those two, the badge belt and gloves both offer some decentish avoidance, as well as more stamina and an extra ~100 armour apiece.
rangnos
Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 am
planning on getting my t5 gloves tmrw for a little bit of threat and def as well
Maranus
Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 am
BV is fine... but if you're pushing block off the table, yes avoid BR.

Don't knock the BV.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Shadowhamer
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:30 am
Have to agree do not knock the BV. I looked at your armoury, and you have good gear. I would replace the defense ring with a ring that offered +def instead. That way you could up your dodge a few points as well.

When you start to tank bosses, you could use a little extra dodge, to help avoid damage. Raid buff I sit at 20% or so, and that seems to work out fine. I too have a high BR/BV and blocking for 550 per hit WITHOUT my autoblocker is not a shabby thing.

Hoepfully I can one day get a pocket watch or a scarab to replace my 32def and AC trinket.
_________________
Evil does not fight fair, so nor do I

For he who dares !
rangnos
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 am
yea, im trying to get around 20% dodge but not loose all my threat, which is why i was asking what are good upgrades.
inthedrops
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:10 am
I'd personally throw the dodge enchant on your cloak instead of armor. You already have pretty good armor (thanks in large part to the nice shield). Your healers won't notice you missing 120 armor Smile
Eanin
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 am
I love Block value. Think about it. Even if you're being hit for 3000 a pop, 30 BV is reducing your damage input by 1%.

Block rating, however, is a complete waste of a gear slot once you're uncrushable. You may as well stack nature damage. The only time it comes in handy is when tanking packs (i.e. when Holy Shield is down).
_________________
Extremity
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:25 am
I would aim for at least 50% avoidance for SSC/TK tanking, but I'm an avoidance whore anyways and refuse to run with under 60%
_________________
rangnos
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am
the hard thing is though, most BR items are the only things with BV.
rangnos
Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:32 am
im looking for more of a high threat boss set though. with enough dodge to make my healers love me, yet enough spell damage to take where my BR(lots of holy sheild procs) was.