Skip to content
Maintankadin

Professions

Korbah
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Professions

Ok, I'm not quite sure where this is supposed to be but its related to my gear so I guess I'll put it here. I'm thinking about dropping my mining profession for jewelcrafting or enchanting. My other profession is engineering, but the only other item I'm looking to get from it would be the +stam trinket, so I wouldn't need mining much besides for that.

The reason why I want to drop mining is because I don't ever really run around and mine, I generally do the dailies and then log and play my alt if I don't feel like doing some bg. I run guildies through a lot of instances, and I spend most of my time playing this character in instances. I think that enchanting would be good here because I could just solo lower instances to get my enchanting skill to a decent level. I don't know too much about jewelcrafting but i've seen the JC BoP gems that seemed pretty nice. I've heard that enchanters can enchant their own rings but I don't know much about it.

What would you recommend? What are the pros/cons of each and would it be worth dropping mining for? I generally only run into 2-3 mines a day and they're adamantite, which I sell for 1g a piece, so that adds up to around 10g per day. Any help would be nice, links would be awesome too!

Thanks ^_^

Korbah
Aalryn
Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm
Enchanting:

Pros:
Cheaper to level up (can offer 'free enchants in town')
most of the enchants are vender purchased
Can disenchant quest rewards/random drops
Ring enchants are amazing

Cons:
Gathering dust can be a pain
A LOT of other enchanters
Not a HUGE moneymaker (less potential than jewelcrafting)
Really good enchants are random drops and some can be whores about dropping


Jewelcrafting:

Pros:
Not a huge population of jewelcrafters
Huge moneymaker when you get a significant amount of patterns.
Easy and pretty cheap to level 300+ (except for patterns)

Cons:
Everything besides rare & epic gems is very quickly and easily replaceable
Every rare gem pattern is a random world drop or you have to purchase it ... making it VERY VERY VERY VERY expensive to gather patterns.
You can only use -1- of each type of BOP gem at a time making them pretty bad overall.
No way to get over 350 without purchasing patterns.
_________________
Official tankadin of <The Core> Tichondrius
kalbear
Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm
Jewelcrafting: can make good money with mining, can get one unique gem worth having. Disadvantage: cuts cost ridiculous money to get, can be frustrating to get money on, doesn't work as well without mining.
Enchanting: can use well for doing DE runs in old-world instances, gives item bonuses that are always better (the ring bonuses). Disadvantage: expensive to level past 300, frustrating to hawk your wares all the time.

I personally went with enchanting as a farming profession. Don't bother leveling it too much, use it to get mats & sell them and occasionally raise it when you can. It's great for instance runs, it's great for doing solo farming. And it really combines well to make money with the cogspinner recipe from engineering.
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:26 pm
Enchanters can enchant their rings with, say, +20 healing or +12 spell damage.

JCs get some nice unique-equipped gems.

I don't think the JCs have any equivalent to +24 SD ...
_________________
Korbah
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:31 pm
Thanks for the help guys! I think that I'm going to go with enchanting; I honestly don't want to sink that much money into Jewelcrafting and I like to be able to DE stuff.
kalbear
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:34 pm
Honestly, with the way that paladins can solo instances for cash enchanting is a real good moneymaker - provided that you're not spending a ton of money on getting the high-end enchants and hawking your wares. Plus given all the rep that paladins have to earn anyway they tend to get a lot of the recipes they want.

Engineering's ability to farm motes made it profitable enough for me to drop mining entirely, and what mats I need I can buy without any real problems.
2ndNin
Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:19 am
Would you drop skinning or mining for enchanting? I have an alt lock (375 tailoring, 375 enchanting) however I think I would like to have the de ability on my paladin (and the ring enchants Very Happy), any suggestions if its worth dropping one of these, and should I then level an alt miner / skinner?
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria