Skip to content
Maintankadin

S1 mace, Amani Punisher, Suneater.

Azulito
Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:06 am

S1 mace, Amani Punisher, Suneater.

Hi all, some of you may remember me from such posts as "mongoose on my spell dmg weapon".

I'm back with a similar question. At the time of my old post, found http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=5306&highlight=
i had only my gavel of unearth secrets, and my continuum blade. However, after a surprisingly fun time of PvP, and a week of lucky drops, I now own my S1 gladiator's gavel, a suneater, and !! an amani punisher. I've currently got 40 spell dmg on my gavel, mongoose on my suneater, and 40 spell dmg on my punisher.


My question is (again) would it be a terrible idea to slap mongoose on the gavel now, since amani punisher has replaced it as my main weapon. I tried swapping in suneater on some fights, but noticed a drastic TPS loss, even with my 166 spell dmg unbuffed with it on. I was thinking gavel would be sort of an "in between" avoidance/spell dmg weapon. for fights were the extra dodge from mongoose would be great, but the loss in TPS is not feasible. (prince P2, gruul, bearboss in ZA, etc)


With gavel, i'm at 405 unbuffed spell dmg (mongoose would bring this to 365)... 423 with amani... 166 with suneater.

Please post opinions/experiences/flamesforaskingthesameshittwice.

Smile


EDIT: to add armory link (if it works today)
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tanaris&n=Azulito
_________________
While warriors are playing with their lucky charms and their CC's, a pally gets to run in there like a bull in a china shop and wreck things up.

-Traurgar, lvl 70 Warrior on Lightbringer
fuzzygeek
Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:08 am
Sure.
_________________
Shadowhamer
Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:56 am
Hmm very interesting. Very interesting indeed. The gavel could indeed be a go between for swap out in a fight, and using mongoose on it could give u a bit of mitigation.

Heck if you have the mats, try it. You have a punisher, so you will not gimp your tanking. Let us know how it works !
_________________
Evil does not fight fair, so nor do I

For he who dares !
Robbert
Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:26 am
Since the whole idea of weapon swapping is basically a form of mix/max for a given situation, I think it's best to look at each individual situation.

Bear Boss - after initially building an aggro lead over the dps I've found that the tanks swapping aggro via taunt leads to a huge threat lead for the two tanks. I'd think in this fight once that initial threat lead is established that going to more mitigation at the expense of TPS would be worthwhile...so in this fight I'd say go with the Sun Eater with your weapon swap.

Prince (P2) - from what I've seen the majority of threat generated here is off holy shield. It hasn't been uncommon for Holy Shield to make up the majority of my raw damage on this fight. As Holy Shield has such a crappy spell damage coefficient I'm not sure which would work better. I'd say give each a shot and see how they go. If your dps are finding they have to hold back in P2 when you're using the sun eater...there's your answer.

Gruul - this one really depends on your OT. I've done this fight with a massive threat lead before to where I was getting pain supressions after a silence to help the healers out. I've also done this fight where the OT was pushing me very hard TPS wise and was generally running about 105-107% of my threat. I'd say if you have a comfortable threat lead over the OT then go with Sun Eater otherwise go with the Gavel.
_________________
Maranus
Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 am
Sounds like a novelty to me.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Azulito
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:48 pm
Ok, so i chanted mongoose on the gavel... we'll see how it works out, although it's hard for me to really record test results :-\

i'll post back with whatever ends up happening Wink
_________________
While warriors are playing with their lucky charms and their CC's, a pally gets to run in there like a bull in a china shop and wreck things up.

-Traurgar, lvl 70 Warrior on Lightbringer
Fedaykin98
Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm
Why do people use Mongoose, anyway? It's proc-based avoidance, which doesn't make much sense to me. Therefore, I've enchanted my Sun-Eater with 20 AGI. I've only ever swapped it in once, for Prince phase 2.

Didn't occur to me to use it with Nalorakk, and we haven't gotten far enough on Gruul for it to be a concern - losing people to shatters is more of an issue than reaching enough growths to where the extra dodge is really helpful.
_________________
Azulito
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:41 pm
haven't had a chance to document the TPS/dmgtaken differences, but i have noticed that even though it's proc based, it procs quite often. doesn't seem to affect my threat all that drastically even when i do an entire pull with it. (tested on those two dmg aura demons in heroic Arcatraz). Threat was lower, but not enough that i lost the mob to my little gnome lock buddy.

i'll see if i can hurt my brain enough to get some WWS stuff together.

edit: maybe i should try downing a fel reaver in HFP with just me and a healer?
_________________
While warriors are playing with their lucky charms and their CC's, a pally gets to run in there like a bull in a china shop and wreck things up.

-Traurgar, lvl 70 Warrior on Lightbringer
Robbert
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 pm
At the beginning of the Gruul fight your goal is to generate as much threat as you can as fast as you can. The more threat you generate the more your ranged dps can open up throughout the fight. Once you're into the higher growths the name of the game becomes survival to allow your dps to finish him off. Those high growth silences can be a real killer especially if it locks out holy shield and every bit of additional avoidance increases your chances of making it through the silence.

As for Mongoose vs Agility...I went with Mongoose initially, but I'm wishing now I'd gone with Agility. Sure you get a nice armor and dodge boost when Mongoose does proc, but it is a proc and more often than not won't be up when you need it most.
_________________