Skip to content
Maintankadin

Decreasing Avoidance % to Gain HP

Baniden
Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Decreasing Avoidance % to Gain HP

Salutations,

I currently have not reached the point of Uncrushable (without popping trinkets). I have several gear sets in bank - one of which is a 4 piece stamina booster set. So this got me thinking, and I arrived at these questions:

1. Would it be worth taking a 4% avoidance loss in order to gain about 1000 HP in a 5-man non-heroic situation?

2. Would it be worth taking a 4% avoidance loss in order to gain about 1000 HP in a 5-man heroic situation?

3. Would it be worth taking a 4% avoidance loss in order to gain about 1000 HP in a Karazhan raid?

Loss / gain to other stats is fairly negligible, and I remain Uncrittable.

I tank for pretty much the same 5-man team. We have solid DPS in the group, and the healer has never had a huge problem keeping me up even in non-heroic boss fights. We are about to start venturing into heroics, and I just finished getting the kara key. I do not expect to be tanking kara regularly anytime soon, but I wanted to throw it in to the questions anyway - even though I will probably be uncrushable by then.
Jensaarai
Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:31 pm
In 5-mans and Heroics, you don't have to worry about being uncrushable. So then I adjust my gear like this:

If I'm not able to hold sufficient aggro, I change some pieces out or take them off. In your case, this would be losing some avoidance (dodge/parry) for some HP (and hopefully spell damage). This is to give you more mana to work with.

If my healer's not having a problem, I always choose the gear that will give me my highest threat potential so my DPS doesn't have to hold back and we finish sooner Razz


For Karazhan, especially just starting out, you'd want to be uncrushable. Depending on your healer's and DPS's gear, you could do it crushable, provided they could keep you up, but it's easy enough to reach uncrushable before Kara that'd I'd just wait until then. Actual drops in Kara will net you the higher HP you're looking for.
_________________
Aalryn
Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:19 pm
no (unless you have a hard time keeping mana)
no (unless you have a hard time keeping mana)
no


avoidance scales, hp doesn't.
_________________
Official tankadin of <The Core> Tichondrius
elson
Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:39 am
It's very difficult to say whether or not the avoidance is worth more then the stamina without knowing how much health you have already. There comes a point when you can have too much health that is just acting as a mana spounge, and a point when you have to little stam and are vulnerable to getting killed by burst damage.

If you can survive a hairy pull without getting killed quickly, then yes the avoidance is worth more then the stamina. Otherwise your first priority should always be making sure you can survive the worst burst any given pull or boss is capable of. If you can survive that burst then avoidance is good to stack unless you are having threat/mana issues.

As far as the comment about health not scaling goes. Sometimes the most efficient way is not the most effective way of doing things. Flash of light is the most efficient direct heal in the game for example, but in many cases it just lacks the heal-per-second ratio to be worth the cast time. In the same way gearing for avoidance may be efficient, but in many cases is in-effective. It really just depends on what a persons stats are already compared to the level of content they are experiencing.
_________________


Zeal without wisdom is folly
Invisusira
Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:43 am
Honestly, you should still be shooting for uncrushable. It's a good baseline number for avoidance, especially since you'll want to do more than 5-mans SOME day.

Get Uncrush, then start stacking stam.

I think what Aalryn meant by "avoidance scales, hp doesn't" is that at ANY level in the game - whether you're raiding Kara or Black Temple - you still need the same number. 102.4.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Nicki
Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:56 am
It doesnt scale a 4% chance to reduce being hit is a 4% chance to be hit...

A 10% increase on 50% avoidance is 5% avoidance
A 20% increase on 60% avoidance is 12% avoidance

You made a fatal error comparing the percentage increase and getting it muddled up with the avoidance increase.

If i gain 4% avoidance I get hit 4% less but I increased my avoidance by x% of the previous value.

You can not turn a 4 into a 8 or a 10...it doesn't make sense!!!

A 4% increase in avoidance IS a 4% reduced chance to be hit!!!
_________________
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Sunweaver
Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:42 pm
Aarlyn is right here, it is pretty simple:

if i have 50% Avoidance, i take 50 out of 100 attacks.

if i have 60% Avoidance, i take 40 out of 100 attacks.

That's 20% less damage because your previous 100% Damage is 50 Hits, where your new 100% Damage is 40 hits.

10 of 50 is 20%, not 10%.

If you don't believe it look at an easier and extreme example of how good avoidance scales.

Let's say i have 80% avoidance while another tank has 90%.

I take 20/100 hits while the other tank takes 10/100 hits, so with 80% avoidance i take double the damage a 90% tank takes.

It would be nice if anyone could make a formula or draw a curve to illustrate how good avoidance scales, especially if you start to build up above 50%.
_________________