Skip to content
Maintankadin

Got New Legs and Shoulders ... Are they worth it?

Retcon
Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Got New Legs and Shoulders ... Are they worth it?

Guild happened to have higher-than-usual people online tonight, and we did a quick Gruul's Lair. Guild leader defaulted tier tokens for the shoulders and legs to me to use for my prot set, so I picked them up. Now the question is, are they worth it, and if so, for what purposes?

Comparing a Pauldrons of Stone Resolve with 2x Solid Star vs. Justicar Shoulderguards with 2x Solid Star:

-I lose 73 armour
-I lose 6 stamina
-I gain 14 intellect
-I lose 5 defence rating
-I lose 9 block rating
-I gain 26 spellpower
-I lose 3 block rating

Comparing Justicar Legguards vs. Timewarden's Leggings with 3x Solid Star
-I gain 303 armour
-I lose 48 stamina
-I gain 13 defence rating
-I trade 11 dodge rating for 31 parry rating
-I gain 36 spellpower

And, of course, if I equp both I get the 2T4 set bonus of 10% more damage from my SoR.

My immediate reactions are that the shoulders are very poor. My only gain is a minor amount of spellpower, and I lose small amounts of every other stat. Granted, I tank trash in Hyjal, and extra threat gives the DPS more leeway with how early they open up with the AOE, but I'm just not sold on the losses (feel free to convince me).

The leggings I have very mixed reactions about. I gain defence and trade a small amount of dodge for higher amounts of parry, as well as picking up armour and spellpower. The downside is that I lose 47 stamina! I can see these having their uses in a boss-set, where I'm guaranteed to have the boss in front of me (for parry) and can use the mitigation/avoidance and increased threat. But for trash tanking, it seems the extra health and superiour avoidance stat (I prefer dodge to parry) makes the blues superiour.

I don't know. Please weigh in, because I'm conflicted.

Edit: I'm looking at Lore's list. Pauldrons of SR are ranked higher than the Justicar ones, and the Justicar leggings didn't even make the list :/
_________________

Retcon, 70 BE Paladin, [H] Korgath-US (PVP)
"Just another plebe in an army of giants."
Doloth
Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:57 pm
I, too, am torn between T4 shoulders and Stone Resolve. Thus when stone resolve dropped, I let the warrior tank take em until I can figure out what to do.

As for the leggings, I would forget both of those and get the badge leggings. Or, since your guild is in Hyjal, get the T5 leggings from Karathress. The T5 set all around is very nice for the job of AoE tanking in Hyjal, though the badge leggings would fit that job well also, and can be easier to get.

Either way, I would not use T4 leggings. Stick with Timewardens until you can get the badge or T5.
_________________
Minn
Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:06 pm
This might be a good time to fall back on the "enchant to the strengths of the gear" rule. Clearly there's more SD on the T4 stuff, so think about taking it further with SD enchants. With spellthread, one of the spell damage shoulder enchants and the 2 piece bonus, your threat generation and damage output will dramatically improve.

As others have said, it doesn't look like either piece deserves a spot in your MT set. The question is, do you want a threat set, and if so, how long could you expect these pieces to be useful?
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Minn
Dragonzbane
Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 am
Neither are really that good for your role.

T4 legs are generally seen as the worst piece of T4 gear, though some say it's the gloves.
T4 shoulders are generally seen as the strongest piece of T4 but for tanking in Hyjal Stone resolve are better.

That said you should probably keep both if you don't have any other pieces of T4.
If you have another piece then dump the legs and keep the shoulders.

You should keep 2 pieces of T4 for the set bonus which is great for the threat increase. You never know, one day they may ask you to tank something other than just Hyjal or there may be a use for you in Sunwell.


As far as other things go:
Work on getting enough badges for the Heroic Legs since you said you can't get T5, if you get the Akama legs first burn the Badges on the Heroic Chest.
_________________
Dragonzbane - 70 Paladin - Khadgar
Galannor
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:03 pm
I used t4 legs token for my healing set, even while i had timewarden which ill replace by wrynn, if i dont replace by unwavering first. T4 shoulders are quite nice tough.