Skip to content
Maintankadin

New with 2.1

Jaspr
Wed May 23, 2007 4:33 pm
Boots of the Righteous Path dropped off Kargath Bladefist for me today, Heroic Mode.


either loot tables were swapped/rearranged, or I just lucked out with a one in a million drop
Everlight
Wed May 23, 2007 5:11 pm
I just checked out those Red Havoc Boots (blacksmithing BoP).

They're tasty for crush removal, but yeah, they aren't much chop for avoidance, I'd put them as inferior to the blue Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves for that - and definitely worse than the Boots of Elusion Sad
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
AergisAergis's avatar
Wed May 23, 2007 5:22 pm
When you get to the harder hitting stuff, predictable mitigation far outweighs avoidance.

I don't mean have 0% dodge. But keeping a decent dodge while uping armor / stam / blockvalue helps tremendously on gruul / mag / maulgar. Can't say for further, as I haven't been, but I'd assume that in 25 mans where you have the healers to keep you up ( so long as they know how much to heal you ) the same would hold true.

Think of it like a graph. It's better to flatten the damage curve than make it even more u-shaped min/max ( min = dodge, max = hardest hit ).

At which point these boots are very very nice, above elusion.

Edit for example.

I'm planning on switching to farstrider defender cloak when A. I get enough badges again and B. when I get curator's pants.

I gain enough avoidance from the wrynn dynsasty legs to be able to take off devilshark cape, and put 120 armor enchant instead of 12 dodge and remain uncrushable.

By swapping, i'd gain:
559 armor
1 stam lol
9 block val

at the cost of
12 dodge rating ( the enchant )
_________________
AergisAergis's avatar
Wed May 23, 2007 6:59 pm
Btw, Joanna is an amazing theorist, but in the thread you mention where avoidance > mitigation on higher end bosses, I believe her math is flawed.

She treats avoidance as a damage spreader over time. While conceptually that may be true, statistacally it is not. The boss will attack at X.X speed, regardless of how high your dodge / miss / parry is. While X% dodge conceptually reduces the amount of time between attacks when thinking about damage taken, it only holds true if you have in infinte timeline. Here we don't, we either die or win the fight. In the smaller period of time, there is alot more variation going on, like getting hit 3 times in a row, dodging twice, etc.

For fun, I threw my stats into the tanking simulator ( I have elusion boots ) against Maulgar preset.

17k hp
16000 armor
10.65 miss
20.5 dodge
15.5 parry
20.5 block
350 block val

and got this over a 50 fight sample :
-----------------------------------
Avg length of fight : 2.39 minutes.
Avg incoming dps : 1259.85
-----------------------------------
Spike death : 0%
OOM death: 100%


I "swapped" to red havoc, adding 108 armor, 15 stam, 30 block val at the cost of 1.6% dodge and got this over 50 fight sample:

-----------------------------------
Avg length of fight : 2.41 minutes.
Avg incoming dps : 1241.3
-----------------------------------
Spike death : 0%
OOM death: 100%




I ran it a few times, both setups. Same results : Very small increase in time till death and very small decrease in dtps. Not a huge upgrade, but one none the less. It also creates a flatter distribution of damage with less spike by a tiny amount, but easier to heal nonetheless. This is afterall looking at a single item upgrade / sidegrade.
_________________
Lore
Wed May 23, 2007 7:04 pm
As I mentioned in the other thread, the Red Havoc boots pattern is a trash drop in Tempest Keep. Furthermore, it's a BoE pattern, and doesn't require raid mats, so it'll most likely start popping up on the auction house from guilds that get a pattern but no tanking blacksmiths.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Jaspr
Wed May 23, 2007 8:08 pm
epic BOE Protadin belt plans dropped on today's hydross kill

apparently it drops from more than one SSC mob