Skip to content
Maintankadin

Resilliance covering defense.

Jarion
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 am

Resilliance covering defense.

I've been getting upgrades lately that have radically increased my HP, block rating and block value. Unfrotunately with every upgrade I've been losing a bit of defense here, a bit of defense there.

2 days ago fortune smiled upon me and I got the Bulwark of the Amani Empire to replace my Crest of the Sha'tar.
The loss of defense put me at 487 defense though.

I remember that 490 defense gives you a 5.6% chance to avoid getting crit.
My 487 defense gives me 5.48%
My 18 resilliance from my gladiators gavel gives me about 0.2% or so chance to avoid getting crit, which puts me just over 5.6% again

Does this mean I'm still uncrittable, or am I doing my calculations wrong?
I'm a little hazey on the theorycraft as to why 490 defense is the number you need to be uncrittable, and for the life of me I can't seem to find it on the forum anymore...I think I'm going spastic.
_________________
Vengence
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:35 am
thats right, res is more powerful to the uncritibility, but you lose the extra miss, dodge, parry, block factor.

Enjoy:)
Uthadanin
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:41 am
I know this is sort of off topic but I have a druid in my guild trying to become uncrittable. He only needs 5.6% crit avoidance does anyone have the number value for 1 def to crit avoidance and 1 resilience to crit avoidance @ lvl 70. (you can pst me).
_________________


Currently lvl 70, Prot Spec'd again ;p
Vengence
Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:15 am
this is just my personal preference, but as a druid with no block at all, i think i would avoid res and just stick to def. He needs the dodge, and miss it provides.

Like i said, just my preference, so he need 490 Def:)
Ralthos
Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:44 am
A properly specced feral druid only requires an equivalent of 415 defense (they have a talent that reduces their chance to be crit by 3%). IIRC, it's about 39 resilience = 1% crit reduction, while it's 60 defense rating per 1% crit reduction.
_________________
ricmrune
Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:27 am
There's a macro that determines your uncrit rate using Def and Resil. It's out there somewhere but I haven't been able to find it. On the other hand you can just use tankpoints to work out the math automatically.

2.3 Items have emphasized more stam and avoidance specific stats for less def so you can be uncrush but be crittable. I worked my way around it using S3 gear. So far I haven't had any issues.
_________________
RICMRUNE - Paladin (Windrunner)

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&n=Ricmrune
Mavrix
Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:49 am

lol

Well, the thing about druids is they have that awesome talent that reduces their chances to be crit to begin with. I R Envious.
The amount of def needed for uncrittable is only 415 def for a druid. It's definitely not the 490 def mentioned earlier and not even the 425 mentioned either.
And there are definitely some cases where playing with resilience can benefit them so that they can toss in pure avoidance items or items with greater armor to get to or closer to the armor cap or items with more stam, etc. etc.
esp. since resilience is so much more efficient at getting them to uncrittable.
The fact that the block chance and parry chance granted by def are totally wasted on a druid . . . well it seems they'd really want to go for those other things as often as possible and definitely would never want to be over the def cap unless it was unavoidable or overwhelmingly better than the pure avoidance available to them.
_________________
Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
Vengence
Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:47 pm
oh yeah, sorry about the 490 thing, i was just stating that he might not want to look to resilience as opposed to def or dodge chace just cause he needs to be able to do those things better than someone who would parry or block something. I threw out the 490 number cause that is our uncrittable number.

My apologizes to the druid OP, i mistated
Oriax
Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:52 am
I'm not sure why this thread derailed into talking about druid crit/def-chance since I can't see what druid you're all talking about ?

I'm also interested in knowing how much resilience is worth when having the same problems as Jarion. I also got the Bulwark few weeks back and had to bring back an old def-trinket to replace my DMC:V to get me above 490 in boss-gear. Certainly took some of the fun out of getting a rather big upgrade from the previous blue shield...

Does resilience show/get automatically counted in under the "Def"-stat or is it something you have to calculate/add in manually ?

Btw, I've never used the "chance to be missed by.." to check for uncrit, 490+ I'm ok..but what you all are saying is that 490=5,6% to be missed or am I only confused ?


Edit * Just occured to me after posting this that if so, I guess there's no need to manually add in resil-stats since maybe they get added to that "chance to be missed" but not adding up on my def-stat.

Example to clarify since I'm confused myself: I could have 488 def, but still be over 5,6% with some resilience making me crit-immune ?
_________________
Tomjones
Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:05 am
I was under the impression that if you're uncrushable, you're uncrittable as well. I know you can't be crushed on a blocked attack, but can you be crit?