Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is engineering worth it when tankatronics aren't necessary?

Herbe
Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:20 am

Is engineering worth it when tankatronics aren't necessary?

Subject pretty much sums it up. I already have the badge faceguard, and while the tankatronics would give me more stam, it would also drop me below uncrushable, meaning i would have to replace my Madness card with Moroes watch, and possibly more wrangling, as I plan on getting the S1 mace, which will lose me the block rating from the crystalforged.

So without the goggles, is dropping 375 BS worth it? I'd like to have the rocket launcher for another pulling tool (would replace my madness card), but other than that its just a lot of fun toys like the repair bot, lolcopter, transporters, and the like.

Am I missing any other useful items? I'm getting very frustrated with BS, as the last stuff I made for myself was some felsteel. The only rare recipies i have are for blessed bracers and fel edged battle axe (hunter friend wanted them and bought me the pattern), so i dont think i'm giving much up.

And to add to my wall of text (sorry Embarassed) if I switch, are there any BS items I should make for engineering before dropping the skill?

TIA Herbe

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Steamwheedle+Cartel&n=Herbe
_________________
I hate signatures, but I love irony.
Kroda
Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:39 am
collect your mats first, then drop mining and get engineering.

worked good for me.

I'll eventually replace the goggles, but I love

1) rocket launcher
2) gyrocopter
3) freeze grenades
4) mote extractor

I think its well worth it.

If you don't think you'd ever use the smithing weapons, then make sure to get the boots made before you drop it. I still think its easier to do dailies for cash and buy the ore you need. You don't need much after you've made your desired items in any crafting trade.
_________________
Stylaan
Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am
It's worth it because Tankatronics far outclass Faceguard once you can gain uncrushable without it.
_________________
fuzzygeek
Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:58 am
Without the goggles Engineering is not worthwhile.

At a certain progression level, maybe not even then.

I picked up engineering so I could have the goggles pre-kara; they made a huge difference in my gear set, imo. If you're very post kara, it's not worth going back for them now.
_________________
halabar
Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:08 am
Do you have an alt that can be your miner?...

I'm still early in BS (220ish) so I'm gonna drop BS for engineering, but if you already are maxxed, I'd keep BS and drop mining. Then you'll be ready for the next expansion and new patterns.
Onaga
Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:24 am
I have the Faceguard from badges, enchanted and gemed... love it

I worked up engineering, made the goggles... yet to gem and enchant them yet becuase I find myself still tanking with the faceguard.
_________________
Stylaan
Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 am
If you got better gear to maintain uncrushability with 2x 51 stam trinkets and the Goggles you'd be in better shape from a main tanking perspective.
_________________
Honorshammer
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:38 pm
it should be noted that Blizzard has stated that in the WotLK Blacksmithing will be changed to appeal to all mail and plate specs.
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
Fedaykin98
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:53 pm
Anyone have a rough estimate on how much it would cost in mats to skill up Engineering from nothing to 350, plus craft the Goggles? I just realized that doing so would nab me almost as much of a STA boost as I got from my Darkmoon Card, and over 1000 Armor as well (I've got Eternium Greathelm at the moment).

I've recently realized that my money would probably be better spent on gear improvements where possible than, say, epic flier.

If it helps, I'm on Blackhand, so launch-day server, should be a mature economy, etc.

Thanks!

PS Logged in healer gear like a doof...I've got 13k hp unbuffed. Embarassed
_________________
Zhalseran
Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:47 pm
I considered making my Paladin an Engineer, but after going nutso with Leatherworking(Primalstrike set) and Blacksmithing(Fireguard) on my Rogue, and Tailoring (Primal Mooncloth) on my Priest, I decided to stick to alchemy/herbalism. Its nice to have my own pots and elixirs on the character I am generally most likely to need them on. I have something of an obsession with craftable epics, so thats saying something I think. In the end I suppose I simply decided that one piece of gear was not superior to a lifetime of gathering/alchemic goodness
_________________
http://zhalseran.blogspot.com/