Skip to content
Maintankadin

T4 or Kara or badge choices?

spiky_porcupine
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:32 am

T4 or Kara or badge choices?

So my new guild has Kara on farm and also cleared Gruul's/Mag. Since I just joined and is in the process of gearing up, I'm wondering what choices would be best for the following.

1. Is the full T4 set better then the drops from Kara? I was thinking it would be stamina wise, but mitigation does not seem to differ by much, and you gain so much more spell damage/int with T4. Not to mention the set bonuses. But I really don't like loosing so much stamina wasting DKP on T4 pants.

2. Now that there are badge rewards, I'm wondering which I should get first. I'm thinking either the chest, pants or boots first. Boots because it is a nice upgrade from what I have now with threat/armor/stam, but looses out on mitigation. Chest is nice, but I think I might roll on T4 chest instead next week, and pants because of the nice stam/arm/block upgrade. Or should I wait til next week when our raid resets to see if I get any drops?


Last question I have is on block value. How important is it and about how much block value should an OT use? I always think dodge > block value, but when is that not the case? Our MT warrior has 25% dodge & 20% parry, so should I aim for something like that as well?

THanks!

My armory:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spirestone&n=spikybunny
_________________
Spikybunny:
Level 70 Draenai Protection Paladin
Spirestone
Vanifae
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:39 am
I would get both Karazhan gear, Tier 4, and the Badge Rewards you will be getting badges towards rewards, and still getting geared up and Tier 4 for the extra threat.
_________________
Visit my crappy blog... Nerf This...
Ulushnar
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:42 am
Karazhan Gear gives you a decent baseline tanking set with a lot of stamina, whilst T4 gives you a lot of threat, but not as much stamina or Crush immunity.

The best combo used to be most of the Kara plate along with the T4 head and shoulders for spelldamage and overall threat.
_________________
http://www.wulfsblood.com - Wow Blog

spiky_porcupine
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:43 am
For sure I aim to have all, but that will take a while. So during this time, which should I use to have the most benefit? Is it avoidance, block value, stam, or spell damage?

Our guild is currently looking to progress through SSC/TK with me acting as OT & AoE tank of course.
_________________
Spikybunny:
Level 70 Draenai Protection Paladin
Spirestone
Ulushnar
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:51 am
The first thing to get is enough defense to be uncrittable, then enough avoidance/block rating to be uncrushable, and then balance the rest between stamina and threat generation depending on the situation.

As an OT/AoE tank, I'd prioritise threat over Stamina slightly, aim for the 4-pc T4 bonus as part of your threat set, and try to grab some block value items where possible.
_________________
http://www.wulfsblood.com - Wow Blog

kalbear
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:38 am
If he gets Wrynn's legs and Maiden's gloves, he'll lose the 4 T4 bonus.

If you're going to be OTing you need to focus on threat and mana efficiency. If you're going to be MTing you need to focus on mitigation and stamina. If you can, get sets for both - a high threat set and a high stam/avoidance/mitigation set. Swap as necessary.

I honestly wouldn't go too much into the T4 set if you're doing Gruul/mag already. You'll get as good from badge rewards and be getting into T5 soon, and a lot of the T4 set is just badly itemized. Most of the badge rewards are insane and compete well with Kara. I'd honestly get the bracers that give expertise first; there's almost nothing comparable in Kara and they're cheap as far as badges go. Then possibly the boots.