Skip to content
Maintankadin

To Parry or not to Parry?

Zaffira
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:24 pm

To Parry or not to Parry?

I just picked up the new Bonefist Gauntlets to replace my old Felsteel gloves. I have more than enough defense at this point (well over 500) so I wasn't concerned about the lack of defense.

Additionally I've always thought that Parry is an extremely valuable stat (arguably even more so that dodge) because you not only completely avoid the attack, but you get an additional counterattack as well generating as much threat as if you blocked (at least when using SoR with a slower weapon like the Lower City mace that I have now.

However, I seen others on this forum seem to poo poo Parry and say that you want +block rating and stam and then dodge.

Once uncrushable, wouldn't it seem to make more sense to stack parry over dodge/block rating?
_________________
kalbear
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Parry is more expensive per point than dodge or block rating. It's better if you can get it, but it's hard to get it cheaply.
Destraal
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:46 pm
Yes parry does result in higher threat than dodge, but doesn't your increased attack speed as a result of parry also increase the amount of parries the boss will have over the course of the encounter? Or am I completely wrong about that?
fuzzygeek
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:11 pm
Man in Black: The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right, and who is dead.
Vizzini: But it's so simple! All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man in Black: Truly you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait 'til I get going... where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia, and you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something — it won't work.
Vizzini: It has worked! You've given everything away! I know where the poison is!
Man in Black: Then make your choice.
Vizzini: I will. And I choose... [points beyond Wesley's shoulder] What in the world can that be?
Man in Black: [Turns to look while Vizzini switches the goblets] What? Where? I don't see anything.
Vizzini: Oh, well, I-I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. [Chuckles]
Man in Black: What's so funny?
Vizzini: I'll tell you in a minute, but first, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.
[They drink, Vizzini continues to chuckle]
Man in Black: You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I did, that's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned. Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" Ah ha ha ha! Ah ha ha ha! Ah ha ha-- [Suddenly goes stiff and falls over dead]



...

Sorry, not entirely sure why that came to mind.

Yes, possibly. No, not wrong. The difference is probably negligible.
_________________
Zaffira
Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:16 pm
Yeah, just the fact that Parry is more rare than dodge and more expensive per rating point (and worth less total avoidance) than dodge/block--makes me think it's ultimately the more valuable stat to have. Would be neat to see one of you math wizards work it all out though. Very Happy
_________________
Worldie
Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:23 pm
The problem of parry is that we aren't warrior.
We don't get that much threat for a additional melee swing. (big part of Warrior's threat is instead coming from white damage)
Dodge is almost on same level on parry for us, and since you need way less rating to get your dodge up, that should be a no brainer.
_________________

kalbear
Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:26 pm
We get about 40% of our total threat from melee + SoR/SoV. Faster swings does help some. That being said, it's still more expensive on items than dodge or block rating is. Really, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Don't gimp your other equipment or stats for it. It's not going to affect things one way or another so much that you'll see a noticeable improvement in your threat or survival.