TankPoints has an excellent calculator, but I've never paid any attention you the actual "points" themselves. Your intuition is correct, the badges legs are *much* better than the Timewarden's.
are you comparing timewardens with full gems and enchant to the badge reward in the vendor (with no enchant/gems?)
other than, that I dunno what to say :c
*edit
ok, i jumped on and tested it.
I've got the T5 legs on with gem+epic enchant
bare Badge reward is 2708 points below
bare Timewardens is 5518 points below
and bare T5 is 3210 points below...
so there ya have it... a nice addition to TP would be to compare like item slots with like enchants and gems. _________________ Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
I do not like how tank points just calculate raw tanking gear without taking things that may help paladins more like spell damage and int. Those arent exactly tanking stats, just annoys me when kara gear shows up being better then tier 5 gear.
TankPoints just measures mitigation/avoidance and stamina. I'm fairly sure it doesn't take threat into account even for warriors (shield block value).
It's mostly useful to see what is better for taking more damage.
It's definitely only a guideline.
I think the above poster could be right too. The score is really low when comparing things that have to gems and enchants. Those help a lot and Tank Points really likes stamina so if you have 3 +12 stam gems in the Timewarden's, it was getting a hefty boost from it.