First off, thanks for all the replies, more than I honestly expected.
When you take my gear in total, adding 2% avoidance is huge, and it really means making up for me not getting smushed *as much*. The fact is I'm still wearing a couple greens, I've gemmed heavily at the moment for stam where I can. My avoidance is pretty poor, so when I do make it to heroics, I'm expecting to take a buttload of incoming damage so I'm far less worried about making it through with mana than I am about not getting beaten into a bloody pulp. My block value is low, my block rating is low, and I can't get the trinkets I want most until I'm already in heroics, thus my focus on getting figurine of the colossus and dabiri's enigma, that at least gets me something for trinkets where right now I have... not much.
In 2.3 I will be continuing to pursue a 49/12 build despite really really wanting PoJ, I will be dropping my points in reckoning to round out precision, WE, and lastly putting two points in spell warding. So yeah, I'm going to be emphasizing stamina.
My intentions down the road are of course to pursue mitigation and avoidance upgrades in pursuit of uncrushability in addition to 490 def, but I have to be realistic in that my playtime per week is generally 1-2 nights, one of which is an hour or so, and the other ranges from 2 hours to 5 hours. I also hit 70 not all that long ago and I haven't done a majority of the quests that get me the blue tanking gear that many people suggest as entry level uncrushability gear. I've planned out the quests I need to do in order to maximize my return on time. Vindicator's hauberk seems like the biggest return, as my chest is my single worst piece of tanking gear aside from my trinkets. Next will be dabiri's enigma, followed by the sha'tari vindicator's belt. Dropwise I hope to get lucky and get righteous shoulders and a figurine of the colossus, but unlike the first 3 items, drops are fickle. Of course all along when I run SV I'll be hoping for a righteous BP and a devilshark cape, but I can't count on getting them.
I'm a long time MMO and fps player, I consider myself fairly decent at performing my role and keeping my eyes open, the minute I'm capable of surviving a heroic with my karazan geared friends (normal group is a feral druid, pvp/cat geared, a holy priest, and either a mage or shaman played by one guy, and we'll round out a 5th for heroics, normally we 4 man everything else).
_________________
