Skip to content
Maintankadin

Help me with fire resist set please

Shai
Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Help me with fire resist set please

I'm trying to gather a fire resist set, but I'm having some trouble since I don't have enough badges for the full epic set atm. Best I can do with what I have now and some crafting is http://wowdigger.com/character/view/18764#o6. I could switch the defence trinket for the 33(?) resi one instead for less crits but it would even futher lower my avoidance. If I get 25 more badges which I won't be able to right away, I can switch to normal gloves and belt and get the fire resist legs instead, but that won't really up my avoidance since I don't have an avoidance belt or gloves. :/ Would give me few hundred more hp tho. Next patch will be a nice hp boost, but I could use some hints about what I could possible change for a better result before I get more badge stuff and what I possible need more to be able to tank the fire elelementals at Illidan? Thanks for any ideas.
Dorvan
Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:26 pm
First, my general approach for deciding how to put together resistance sets:

1. Find out what kind of gear pieces are available.
2. Because maintaining defense is critical, I calculate a resist gained/def rating lost ratio for each slot to get an idea of which pieces give me the most bang for my buck. I also tried looking at resist/(def rating + stam difference), but the results were generally similar.
3. Based on 2, I came up with a gear set that would get me up to 295 unbuffed FR while sacrificing as little defense as possible.
4. I am a huge math nerd.

As far as conclusions go, I'm guessing that the gear set I came up with will be pretty close to what's optimal for anyone else, the resistance portion of the set is as follows:

badge chest + 15 resilience enchant
badge legs + nethercleft patch
badge hands + FR armor kit
badge feet + stam or stam/run speed enchant
TK attunement ring
SMV quest neck
level 66+ cloak "of Fire Protection" + 15 FR enchant

Total FR: 295-298 (depending on quality of cloak)

Remaining slots available:
Head
Shoulders
Bracers
Belt
1 Ring
2 Trinkets
Weapon/Shield/Libram

Recommended itemization for other slots:
Shield: S2 shield, hands down (or season 3 if you can pull it off Razz)
Trinkets: the 2 highest defense trinkets you have available, there's also a 32 resilience trinket off of heroic Black Stalker

If you can't have a full epic FR set right away do what you can, but really: it's the last boss and you knew it was coming....there just isn't any excuse not to fully prepare yourself, to do otherwise is to hold your raid back.
Shai
Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:01 pm
I have an excuse! Razz I have been holy for a very long time and we have been killing Illidan for over 3 months now. We have other tanks who can and have tanked the elementals but now it seems like I should gather a set anyway in case it's needed some time, which wasn't exactly expected. Anyway I guess I'll just wait and see, try to gather some mats for the blue stuff in case it's needed and once I'm less busy irl I can farm some more badges, from ZA next patch anyway.
Dorvan
Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:26 pm
Ah, that makes more sense. I'd still say that you shouldn't volunteer yourself on Illidan until you're top-notch, but your guild may be comfortable enough with the encounter that they've got some slack to give.