Skip to content
Maintankadin

Best heirlooms for a baby pally leveling as Prot?

Eugenia
Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 am

Best heirlooms for a baby pally leveling as Prot?

Folks,

I started reading up prot pally info recently as I consider getting my L8 pally started on the long trail to endgame. There seems to be a considerable amount of discussion on shifting stat priorities for prot allies in endgame in WoD, but I can't make good connections between those learned discussions and the reality of the heirlooms on offer today. Haste is to be found on a lot of the heirlooms, but it appears Haste has been deprecated?

(Yes, I understand levelling Prot is inefficient, but I am a slow learner, and leveling in the spec I hope to raid in helps me use and understand my abilities better.)

I appreciate any thoughts folks have to share.
Koatanga
Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:51 pm

Re: Best heirlooms for a baby pally leveling as Prot?

Throw out defensive stats while leveling. You will be overpowered with any BoA gear, so nothing should threaten you. Haste is actually good again for endgame, and for leveling it's an offensive stat which is great.

Prot leveling isn't inherently inefficient. It's a matter of your approach. Don't bother about pulling things one at a time - pull the entire zone, mow them all down, then check for quest items among the carnage. You're practically indestructible, so take advantage of it.

If you get into tanking instances, you might as well drop your quests because you'll gain so much experience (up until around lvl 70) in instances your quests will be out-leveled quickly.

That doesn't teach you much for endgame, except perhaps for your rotation (although things generally won't last long enough for a decent rotation), but Blizzard has made leveling so easy that it doesn't resemble endgame very much regardless of which class/spec you run. Pretty much nothing out there survives a full rotation from anyone (Resto Shaman excepted).
Eugenia
Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Best heirlooms for a baby pally leveling as Prot?

Koatanga,

Thanks for your kind reply. I do plan to tank instances as much as possible as I level, so I will not quest unless I have to. I have been tanking as a prot warrior for 9+ years, so I do definitely do want to get lots of practice with the different play style of a pally. (I just hope the new pally info doesn't push my small trove of warrior tanking out of my little head...)
Worldie
Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Best heirlooms for a baby pally leveling as Prot?

As Koatanga said, go for the full DPS set + sword and shield. The extra tanking stats of the tank set are quite useless, dungeons are tuned to be aoetankable by people in greenies so you don't gain anything by having more stamina or more dodge.
Considering tank DPS is super high at low levels, having extra STR and offensive stats makes you faceroll the content more easily, and will help you past level 80 when dungeons start giving so little exp and questing becomes more efficient.
Eugenia
Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: Best heirlooms for a baby pally leveling as Prot?

Thanks worldie, I'll be more offensive (grin) I'll review the heirlooms with that in mind.