I've only been visiting this site regularly for a couple months, so forgive me if I'm wrong and please take everything I say not as fact but as my own thoughts on the matter. Wait for someone who knows what they're doing with all this to comment before making any life-altering decisions, but based on what I've been reading these are my conclusions:
I would disagree about the gloves being a weaker choice. Theck has pointed out a few times that some of our best pieces are the ones that have reduced Strength itemization in order to have a large chunk of rating on them, and the gloves are just that. The normal tier 14 gloves have 909 dodge, of which we can reforge away 364 into haste or expertise, and as it already has hit on it that gives us two very attractive stats and dodge, which is never a bad thing to have. If you look at the only other option at that item level, the Windblade Talons from HoF, they have smaller quantities of both dodge and parry, and if you're going for the control build it makes them a weaker piece overall.
I would probably agree that the legs are not a strong choice, as the dodge on them is in fact pretty low (715 for the normal version). In that case I would look at the ret piece and I see a strong choice (exp and mastery).
That said, if I had to choose a single piece to replace of the normal set, I would probably strongly consider replacing the chest.
White Tiger Chestguard looks like a good piece with parry (which is generally diminished less than dodge) and hit, but if you can pick up
Carapace of Crushed Conviction or
Ravaging Warrior's Chestpiece I would guess that either one is a better pick with the expertise, and the Ravaging Warrior having 457 rating that you can pull out of dodge and put into haste or mastery makes it very pretty imo. Also I would take a look at the sockets of each, Ravaging Warrior and Crushed Carapace both have a blue socket, so total we would gain an additional 360 stamina and 160 exp (blue gem = 240, purple gem = 120 sta / 160 exp), plus 120 str for a socket bonus which is almost 1:1 parry (Ravaging Warrior is at a disadvantage here, since it actually loses Str to have that high Dodge). With the tier piece you're looking at two yellow sockets, which would only give 240 sta and 320 in hit or haste or mastery to gain a socket bonus of 120 parry. Personally I'm probably aiming for the chest off Galleon if I can get the other 4 pieces.