Definitely not too late to the party, there's a raid on the weekend

For reforging I used the priority you mentioned. For gemming I started with the stamina focused scheme I mention in the initial post. I was a bit concerned about draining healer mana with that one so I started my thread here and after the fine advice I switched to this:
yellow and prismatic: fractured amberjewel
blue: puissant dream emerald
red: fine ember topaz (could have been guardian's demonseye but I figure if you are maximise you should maximise)
The difference between the 2 schemes wasn't really that big to be honest (4K health maybe?), although it *feels* like my damage intake is a bit smoother but it could be my imagination. Like econ21 and Bellanka said in this thread, the stamina from the HoT and (old) VP gear is enough to keep you covered in a normal mode raid and then matches up with my experience so far.