I am looking at putting together a rudimentary stat-value guide for myself. The basics for this stemmed from the post about which trinket is beter, the 346 Finger or a 333 mastery trinket. One has a ton of parry, the other has a lesser ton of mastery. The net result for the poster was a 1% drop in avoidance + mastery. Another example was the Iceborne Breastplate versus the blue JP item.
I thought it was an interesting question - how much additional pure avoidance makes up for the loss of 1% combat table coverage when trading block for parry/dodge?
I came up with a basic formula for damage taken, being:
boss chance to hit - (dodge% + parry% + block% * .4) = % of potential damage that actually lands.
So if I have 11% dodge + 12% parry + 50% block, I will actually be hit by 54.4% of incoming damage. Increasing parry by 1% decreases damage taken to 53.4%, which is a 1.8% decrease in damage taken. The more overall avoidance I have, the more valuable the additional 1% avoidance becomes.
Increasing block by 1% gives me 54%, which is a decrease in damage taken of 0.7%.
However, block% itemisation is much cheaper, so you can get more block% for the same item-cost. The trick is in finding the tipping point, which is pretty much what this model is about. I want to plug in before and after numbers to see if damage taken goes up or down.
My questions are around the current damage model, and the influence of armour.
With the current damage model, is it relevant to look at a reduction in overall damage taken, or are we still looking at burst-scenarios where mitigating a greater number of hits (thus reducing the chance of 3 consecutive full hits, for example) is more important than the overall amount of damage taken?
As for armour, I am ignoring it for the purpose of weighting block, parry, and dodge. However, I wonder if that is correct, since the more pure avoidance I have, the less armour influences the overall reduction in damage taken, whereas the more I lean toward block%, the greater influence armour has. Armour only plays a role in blocked or full hits, since a dodged or parried hit does no damage anyway.
Part of the idea behind this is also to look at the chance of 3 consecutive full hits (being a potential death scenario). With my 11%/12%/50% example above, there is a 24.4% chance that I will take a full hit, a 5.95% chance I will take two in a row, and a 1.45% chance of taking 3 full hits in a row.
If I consider that to be an acceptable risk level, then I can also look at that value as well when assessing various combinations. While I want to reduce the overall damage taken, I don't want to run into the situation where burst survival becomes jeopardised. Block% has a much greater influence on burst scenario than parry or dodge because I can get more block% for the same item budget.
In the case of something like the Iceborne Breastplate, it has a stat (hit) that I would like to have more of. So I would like to see just how much I really lose from my JP chest in terms of table coverage and in terms of overall damage taken to see if I can justify adding a nice offensive stat (that will become more important once I have a 10-sec interrupt).
Koatanga
Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm
