Incite. wrote:Thank you for the response.
I replaced the gems in my belt as you recommended, well kind of I chose a parry/mastery so I could pick up the socket bonus. I used the mastery/stamina gem for the colorless slot though.
At what point is it better to change to stamina over avoidance stats? Is there a rule of thumb number? I seem to remember reading on one of the theory crafting posts that its around the 80 % mark.
The reason I am gemmed the way I am is because I am gemming per the survival gemming guide. It rates the 101 stamina gem at the top of the list for blue or colorless sockets ( or red gem with poor bonus ).
Ideally I would move the stamina gem in my shoulders to the colorless in my belt and will as soon as they add the socket to the crafted belts. I plan to replace my belt then.
If you can please explain to me how the formula I am using to determine combat table coverage works. I see that it takes dodge, block ( I equate this to mastery ), and parry into account. How do I add in armor?
I don't mind constructive criticism at all and if I am doing something wrong I'd like to fix it.
Thank you for your time.
Stamina over avoidance is a very difficult call, as it is very encounter dependent. The way I'm addressing it is by establishing a baseline stamina per tank stage, and encouraging people to reach that baseline before attempting to move into the next stage.
Comparing pieces of gear, though, much be done somewhat in a vacuum - I could use a different rating system for each tank stage with different weights per stat, but for now I don't. Thus I have to pin some equivalent of stamina to mastery for comparison purposes. I pinned this ratio at 1 stamina = 0.7 mastery rating. This actually makes stamina a little better than the 1.5:1 ratio, but note that I still gem at 1.5:1 before evaluating gear. It's somewhat arbitrary but I felt this was a reasonable middle ground between all sta and all mastery for the purposes of item comparison.
Yes, the 101 sta is the top choice for a blue socket, but 67 mastery rating is the top choice for a yellow socket. Picking between them is still your decision.

Were I a JCer, I'd probably use two stamina and one mastery rating JC gem.
Armor doesn't affect combat table coverage at all. It only affects total damage taken. But - given a snapshot of gear and content, it can be approximately related to any other stat that affects total damage taken. Theck worked out the math here that related it to mastery for a given point, which is where I took the ratio I'm using:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p632421I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Blizzard has made gearing much harder than it was in WotLK by making two stats viable for stacking (sta and mastery rating) which can't be easily compared. (In wrath you could stack armor and sta but when and how much for each was obvious.) They also made it much harder to compare items because of how much they can be adjusted via gems and reforging. Thus, proper gearing is more of a spectrum than a point.
I pretty much point people towards a middle ground of that spectrum, because most will make small adjustments to my advice (or small errors in implementing it) but that will still leave them within the spectrum of good gearing. If you understand the tradeoffs, though, you can ignore my advice and take your own path anywhere in the spectrum, and you may find equal success.