This is the sister thread to Stam Vs. Mastery Gemming in normal raid content.
Ok, I had this huge thing typed up explaining my experiences and observations but it became a novel with nothing really useful to say.
The TLDR is that for the early heroic modes which I've experienced, I am no longer a proponent of trading stamina for heavy mastery. Raid damage is just too high. And the combination of melee and magic damage on tanks is severe as well. Omntiron and CoW are two obvious examples. Permafrost followed by a melee swing is serious damage. Nature boss after an ultimate is serious damage, even with cooldowns running. Omntitron is just LOADED with massive magic damage.
I regemmed all of my gear and traded about 3% block for ~6k more unbuffed health (I forgot to check before and after stamina values). And I have one more piece to do this on netting about another 1k health.
In addition to the high base damage levels, gear also becomes a bit of an issue. I've noticed that as you work on getting your 4 tier pieces, mastery just doesn't exist at the same levels anymore. Many later upgrades are void of high mastery levels.
My basic strategy at the moment is to just use mastery trinkets when mitigation is called for, otherwise stamina trinkets. And gem stamina in blue and stam hybrids everywhere else. Basically, I'm now a fan of prioritizing stamina for heroic content. What are your experiences? Are they completely different from mine?
inthedrops
Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 am
