Not really having any difficulty doing heroics without CC and healers never complain...
until one put up a fuss over it last night (and I run with her like 20% of the time).
She said I take way too much damage compared to her friend who's also a prot pally and also
pulls with no CC through all heroics.
I compared his armory vs my info and I just don't see it being possible for him to take less damage even in better gear. I read the sticky and understand the concepts (I think) about reforging dodge and parry to mastery, but I have a hard time swallowing that pill.
Here's the stats for other tank and myself.
Other tank: iLVL 349 ME: iLVL 349
HP: 166k HP: 144k unbuffed
Armor 35594 Armor 34901
Dodge 11.04% Dodge 15.70%
Parry 13.03% Parry 12.87%
Block 43.98% Block 40.71%
Expertise 6 Expertise 8
Total avoidance = 68.05 Total avoidance = 69.28 <---Didn't add in +5% miss
Now...
Now, I am very aware about healer perception possibly being skewed due to her knowing this guy and having him tank for her for a long time (per the healers statement, but I bring this up since no other healers have a problem and constantly tell me I'm a dream to heal). But we got into an argument and she choose to totally ignore the fact I have higher total avoidance than him. (His armors a tad higher and his blocks a tad higher, but my dodge/parry are higher thereby I get hit less overall).
Also, (didn't want to link armories because I don't want her throwing a fit over it later) to add to this all, I have only reforged all hit and expertise to mastery (minus two pieces with Expertise >> Parry which I'll be changing later today more than likely) and not done any dodge or parry to mastery. I have gemmed straight dodge for the most part where I can fit it and used plenty of Parry + stam gems and Dodge +stam gems so my health is at 144k unbuffed with ilvl 349, and he's at 166k with same ilvl basically.
I ended up ending the argument by just telling her the guy probably blows all his CDs every chance he gets hence why he seems to be taking less damage, didn't want to bother arguing the numbers which can't lie.
Does this seem like a logical explanation? Also, would you recommend dropping SOME dodge or parry for mastery (even though it would be an avoidance downgrade?) and is there a good chance that I hit the point where I actually need to scale back dodge and parry and gem straight stam gems? I could have sworn, even after reading the stickies, that the general CORRECT consensus was to have as high avoidance + mitigation as possible, yet I have higher avoidance (dodge + parry) AND total avoidance+mitigation (at a slight cost to mastery) than everyone else i'm seeing tanking raids.
TLDR: For me the numbers just don't add up; I have higher avoidance stats and total avoidance + mitigation than tanks that are raiding yet somehow someone seems to think the guy with more mastery and less avoidance (dodge+parry) takes less damage (could it be his bigger health pool? Or blows more CDs? had to throw that in). Seeking more clarification into all this.
Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Roxxormcownage
Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 am
