For test subjects, I'm looking at the helms on my Stage Three tank list. These are helms sought by tanks who want to gear up for raids.
Some assumptions have to be made to enhance the gear before comparison. If your assumptions differ from mine the comparisons may differ, but here's what I did:
- All the helms have meta slots and support an enchant, so I ignored both for the purposes of comparison.
- When I had an identical choice between dodge and parry rating, I picked dodge rating. It's arbitrary. It's probably better to pick some of each to keep the dr ratios about the same, so that it's always easy to compare gear by rating.
- I matched good socket bonuses with parry/sta, and mastery/sta gems. I considered all of the socket bonuses good except the one for crit rating.
- I followed the 55% rule for reforging for combat table coverage, meaning that I reforged the threat stat if it was 55% or more of the avoidance stat, and I reforged the avoidance stat if the threat was less than 55%.
- In all cases reforging was to gain mastery, except where the piece already had mastery. Then I reforged to gain dodge rating as per my arbitrary choice above.
- I used Theck's derivations thread to identify 7 armor as equivalent to 1 mastery rating, allowing me to account for armor differences.
- I ignored the flooring effect when converting strength to parry rating. None of these pieces had agility to convert.
With that laundry list of assumptions, I then attempted to calculate three numbers for each piece:
- Stamina (easy enough)
- Mastery Rating Equivalent or MRE (including mastery and armor)
- Avoidance Rating Equivalent or ARE (including dodge and parry rating, strength and agility)
The results are as follows:
- Code: Select all
Item S MRE ARE
Reinforced Bio-Optic Killshades 512 606 283
Grinning Fang Helm / Crown of Wings 484 438 341
Headcover of Fog 484 458 321
Helm of Setesh (Heroic) 529 480 219
Helm of the Proud 529 460 303
Helm of Easeful Death 484 595 146
Anomuran Helm 514 585 126
Helm of Setesh 476 446 193
The question that now arises is: Is this usable to guide gear selection? It's not easy to compare S to MRE; it's very encounter dependent. It's not easy to compare ARE to MRE; it depends on diminishing returns.
That said, I make a few observations:
- Helm of Setesh (Normal) has the lowest S, second lowest MRE, and lowest ARE, making it probably the worst piece in the set. This makes sense as a sanity check, because it is the lowest iLvl piece.
- The Grinning Fang Helm / Crown of Wings ties for second lowest S, has the lowest MRE, instead putting most of its iPts into ARE. Given diminishing returns, I would not recommend this piece. Pretty much the same argument applies to the Headcover of Fog.
- The Killshades probably are the best piece overall, despite the second-best S, due to the highest MRE and ARE.
- The DPS helms (Easeful Death and Anomuran) compare very favorably to the "default" tanking helms. I'd take Easeful Death over Grinning Fang any day (gaining 157 MRE at a cost of 195 ARE). Even versus Helm of Setesh (Heroic), the Helm of Easeful Death stacks up well (gaining 115 MRE at a cost of 15 S and 93 ARE).
- Helm of the Proud versus Helm of Easeful Death is the failsafe choice. Both cost the exact same amount from the same vendor (2200 Justice Points). Taking Easeful Death is a gain of 135 MRE at a cost of 45 S and 157 ARE. Rather than being a clear choice in favor of the tanking piece, I actually think this is a tossup, depending on whether you value Stamina or Mastery Rating higher.
Thoughts?
