Skip to content
Maintankadin

Karazhan Gear Swapping Strategies

roderick
Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:16 am

Karazhan Gear Swapping Strategies

Hi Folks,

Well after two weeks of getting stuck on Moroes, our semi-PuG Kara group took a huge leap forward and downed all the way to Curator (5 bosses) last night. I was thrilled, we probably could have gone further but ran out of time. I MT'd everything but Maiden (we had the druid tank that as I put BoSac on one of the Melee DPS and did a bit of a cleanse festival). All went well, we had 2 priests healing and some hybrids that could pitch in when needed, but never did.

As crushing blows only come into play with the lvl 73 bosses (as I understand it), I'm wondering what folks are doing in terms of gear swaps as the progress through an evening's run? I ran entirely with my uncrushable set on and never changed anything, nor did I ever equip my sun-eater (sticking with continuum).

In general I have a 5-man set, a heroic set, a raid tank set, a solo max DPS set, and an AoE grind set configured in itemrack. I'm wondering if I should start building sets for different Karazhan situations. For example, I got the T4 gloves last night and was a bit bummed when I realized they couldn't be used with my current set and still maintain uncrushability (using feltseel now).

So how are folks tuning their gear in different Kara situations?

Thanks very much. Our group never would have gotten where we got last night without these forums.

-Roderick
_________________
Invisusira
Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm
For Kara you can honestly just run thru the whole instance in the same gear, sounds like you've got a setup you like. When we were first clearing Kara, I was actually crushable for a while and favored +sta gear for the earlier bosses; however, after curator, that's a big no-no.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Everlight
Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Karazhan Gear Swapping Strategies

I wear my 5-man threat set for all of the trash before Curator, and my full raid tank set for all the trash after Curator.

Reason is that the pre-Curator trash just doesn't hurt me enough to keep my mana high, so I'm OOM while the healers are twiddling their thumbs on 90% mana. Chuck on the threat set and everyone can go Steve Ballmer style, and my mana stays reasonably balanced with the rest of the raid's.
_________________
Zen Tanking - http://zentanking.blogspot.com
Ilara
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:16 am
At the moment I have two - third upcoming - sets.

5man - has greater spell damage so I can speed up the run and am not avoiding all the hits to keep my mana up. Currently a mix of d3 and odds and ends.

Raid - the usual aim for uncrushable pre-kara gear right now.. Tag teaming with a warrior to get our stuff done. I'm still not quite uncrushable (96%) with my gear, but all through our Kara runs so far I have been left to main tank all, minus Prince, while the warrior picks up odds and ends. (more mana efficient for me also)

Healing - I've been putting together odds and ends to make an off healer set. at the very least I can be throwing around small heals here and there, as well as dealing away with status ailments. not particularly much else I can do on shade of aran for example, and for our first prince kill I was stuck off to the sidelines throwing out the heals. Sad not fun, but til I get the uncrush I'll accept it


one thing I want to ask about that a couple have mentioned above;

Heroic - I haven't been to a heroic yet (primary and most vital target left off my uncrush is the libram) mostly due to the fact I have heard stories of untold pain and agony of trying this stuff, and guildies keep telling me I can't play around with my AoE tricks in there, much to my obvious dissapointment. I have pretty much delayed my trip into a heroic until I have gotten everything else I need.
What sort of gear would be in a heroic set? would it really be that much different than 5man or raid?
_________________
Ilara / Protection Paladin / 70 / Barthilas
Swagger
Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:13 pm
I generally wear my threat set for trash and swap on uncrushable for bosses.
_________________