Skip to content
Maintankadin

2.3 changes and Pally itemization

reyia
Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:07 am

2.3 changes and Pally itemization

Now, if your guild is anything like mine, one of the things I do is heal when the situation doesn't call for multiple tanks. Now that +heal = 1/3 spell damage, i was thinking it might make sense to actually itemize around that.

For instance, Arena shields. For most people, it's a choice between the barrier (33 spell damage) and the Shield wall (21 stam). It now may make sense to think about the redoubt (66 healing, 22 spell damage) as an alternative.

Yes I am aware it may be a moot point, considering you can always swap weapon and shield mid combat, but the reality of it that most of us have endless sandboxes of gear to acquire and you have to make purchasing decisions.

Thoughts on this particular topic at all?
_________________
Guillex
Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:48 am
With this new +heal = 1/3 sd, we're going to have to make more calculations. As in, 1/3 of 66 = 22... Which is still less sd than the Barrier.

I think it's more along the lines of being able to pick up healing plate as an alternative to make a spelldamage set... But that's just me. I'd love to be able to swap out into my full KZ epic healing set and layout a smackdown with 529ish base SD (from 1602 +healing).

I think it's going to make things a little more interesting, but I don't think that we're going to have to be any more vigilant in our purchases, nor take anything else into consideration, really...
_________________

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."
-Verbal Kint
Mavrix
Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:06 am

heh

he's not saying we would have to be more vigilant, just that we may have more options and may need to consider which items might serve utility as double-duty gear pieces saving on dkp/badges/honor/points/whatever if the currency we have is limited
_________________
Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
Grigsby
Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:32 am
Ok, I've missed something somewhere.

Is this change across the board? i.e. 66+ heal = 22+ sd, or is this for paladins only?

And I don't see much point in using +heal gear in place of +sd gear, when you are going for spell damage.
Grigsby
Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:47 am
The only healing I do is Lay on Hands, and then Divine Intervention the last healer alive Smile
Jarion
Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:52 pm
I'm not sure why people arn't giddy about this. Most likely I'm not understanding the change though.

If 3 healing = 1 spell damage....doesn't that mean our TPS is going to skyrocket?

Most items give damage+healing. So if an item says (e.g. continuum blade) 121 damage + healing, isn't that in actual fact 160 damage and 121 healing? Throw on the +40 spell damage enchant and wizard oil and you've got 240 spelldamage just from using continuum blade!

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I suspect that I am Very Happy

If I AM correct...wouldn't that allow us to be able to drop one or two pieces of spell damage gear and use those slots to grab some, say, block value or stam gear for instance? Would certainly make itemization slightly less of a pain.

(and yo...first post. been reading here for ages but never actualy posted)
Jarion
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:06 pm
Aww Sad
Girard
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:27 pm
I've decided to swap out my +dmg enchants for +healing enchants. I take a hit in terms of threat (well.. a minor one) but it makes it so I can switch from a tank role to a heal role, which makes me far more versitile than I am now.
_________________
Jeslena
Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:27 pm
The change is nice; however, I will not be switching my gear towards +healing. I keep a decent healing set around for those times I have to heal, but I won't be using any of it while tanking for one major reason. Most healing items lack in mitigation and avoidance stats. You aren't going to find defense rating, dodge rating or anything else like that on most healing items.

Threat isn't much of an issue in my opinion since you can still use high spell damage weapons and switch to healing in combat; not to mention that most high spell damage weapons have no mitigation stats on them anyways so using a healing weapon instead isn't a major issue.

As for DKP, I get any rotting healing loot that is going to rot for free anyways for situations which they need me to heal while still having points to compete with warriors and druids for tanking items so I don't fall behind.
_________________