Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do i convince a guildie to throw away suneater?

thegreatheed
Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:43 am

How do i convince a guildie to throw away suneater?

OK, so my main is our guild's priest lead. I am also kind of the interim paladin lead until we get someone to step up and shine. My tankadin is my alt... and TONS OF FUN (I would switch to the tankadin fulltime, but, I'm seriously our guilds best healer... 5/6 ssc 2/4 TK 32% on vashj.... so SOON!)

We have a player who wants to tankadin. I've straight up told him that continuum blade > sun eater. he still uses the SE. he even enchanted it with 40 spell dmg. We're trying to incorporate this tankadin in our 25man raids, and I strongly believe he needs more spellpower.

Please post your opinions or any succinct strong evidence that CB > SE always for a tankadin. If you have any great links, I'll pass those along, otherwise I'll probably just point him to this thread.
_________________
Eloff
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:14 am
There's only one reason to take CB over Sun Eater... Threat.

Grab some screen shots of where he performs on Omen, and show him that he doesn't generate enough threat. (Which may or may not be true. I'm sure it would be true for offtanking...)

As far as weapons go, Threat >> mitigation. Just explain the mechanics to him and maybe come up with an example of other gear pieces he would have to change out to get the same lvl of spell damage (threat) as the 121 he is giving up...
_________________
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct


Dorvan
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 am
Tell your DPS to go all out regardless of the meters for a pull or two, then explain again what it means to raise the DPS's threat cap.
Vanifae
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:25 am
I think this may be much ado about nothing, if he is a Blood Elf, then he can Seal of Blood tank just fine at the Karazhan level.

Post a combat log or screen shot of his threat output if he can reach 400-500 TPS in Karazhan then he should be fine. He can do much better yes, but I am not going to impose my play style on him, unless he is severely hurting your raid.

Do him a favor and just point him to this site and let him decide for himself.

In 25-man content he may see some threat issues but then again he may not.
_________________
Visit my crappy blog... Nerf This...
Teah
Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:27 am
He doesn't need to throw away the sun eater he just needs to use it correctly. He needs to build threat with a SD weapon and switch to SE if he has a hefty threat lead.

I find that sword to be extremely helpful when I have a 60-70k threat lead and I'm getting my ass beat. (5th add @ Mag)

I agree with Van if he is a BE.. he can SoB it. This hasn't worked for me because my DPS is too nuts though.
_________________
sindorei
Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:47 pm
if he got 490 def and 102.4%avoidance and 250+spell dmg on this gears, then it doesn`t matter what weapon he currently is using for 25 man, but hopefully he has 12k hp unbuffed.

if he lost his threat constantly while tanking and cause the death of raid memebers, then this would be a good reason for him to swtich to spell dmg sword.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Proudmoore&n=Sindorei
cerealkiler
Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:35 pm
the way i look at it..suneater is good for the following:
+13 defense rating, +13 dodge rating , 22 stam

cb blade: +121 spell dmg, +30stam, +11 intel

the amount of avoidance given by suneater is JUST ABOUT any 1 piece of any other tanking gear on your body (or even less); however, the amount of spell dmg cb blade gives is equivalent to about 4 pieces of spell dmg gear you can have (assume each piece gives about 30 spell dmg).

The conclusion is, u gain SLIGHTLY more avoidance by going with suneater; but, if u use CB, that's ALMOST all the spell dmg you need on your whole gear.

so yah..see if that helps ur reasoning with him
Worldie
Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:14 pm
Tell him to use Sun Eater for avoidance fights and Continuum for offtanking and Threat fights, problem solved Surprised
_________________